The Metro Reporter is a 34-36 hours per week, non-exempt position reporting to the Editor. This position is key to fulfilling our goals as Seattle’s leading investigative weekly newspaper for progressive communities, producing antiracist and anti-classist, advocacy journalism that brings to light people, issues and institutions insufficiently covered in other media.
The reporter position requires a few hours weekly in our Vendor Center working alongside other staff to meet vendor needs.
Working under Covid: Real Change takes Covid very seriously: We require masks; work schedules are staggered to limit the number of people in the office; we utilize air purifiers, have a daily sanitation routine, use plexiglass around high traffic areas and monitor staff for any Covid symptoms. The job descriptions represent current work duties, and may shift some during and after Covid so that we can effectively meet our mission and serve our Vendor population.
1. Reporting (45%)
- Gather news from community members, press releases, wire services and other sources
- Develop story ideas and work with Editor to identify and plan coverage
- Present and plan stories to the team at weekly budget meetings
- Ensure each story has usable art by coordinating with editors or taking photos
- Cultivate relationships with sources, community organizations, other journalists and more
2. Writing (45%)
- Compile and synthesize data
- Interview multiple sources for each story
- Produce two stories of 700 – 900 words each and two briefs, or the word-count equivalent of these four, weekly
- Ensure stories are fact-checked, proofread and in AP Style
- Participate in news team’s editing and production cycle
3. Other Duties (10%)
- Fulfill shift in the Vendor Center as scheduled
- Mentor Editorial Department interns and journalism students as assigned
- Participate in regular department, all staff and other meetings as assigned
- Participate in one Real Change Strategic Planning workgroup
- Promote reporting through Real Change social media and at special events
- Other related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required
- The equivalent of three or more years’ experience in journalistic reporting resulting in published articles
- Self-starter with a history of meeting deadline requirements and developing story ideas
- Passionate dedication to economic, racial and social justice
- Team player who can work effectively within and across departments
- Strong organizational skills and comfort working in a deadline-driven environment
Compensation: Salary range is $21.09 - $22.00 hourly. Benefit package includes Health and Dental coverage, generous PTO - 3 weeks’ vacation, 2 weeks’ sick, 10 holidays, 403B Retirement Fund with a 4% Real Change contribution, flexible work schedule and professional development funds.
Accessibility: Real Change office is not explicitly scent-free, uses fluorescent lights, and welcomes pets. Our office on the second floor is accessible via an elevator and three are two steps up to access the Advocacy area in our office on the first floor. There are accessible bathroom stalls on both floors.
To apply for this position, please send journalistic writing samples, story ideas you would pitch, your resume and a brief cover letter to email@example.com with “Metro Reporter” and your last name in the subject line. We will be evaluating candidates based on the minimum qualifications- for a successful application, we encourage you to explicitly highlight your direct or related experience & ability to meet these criteria. No phone calls, please.