- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Location: Los Angeles, CA, St. Paul, MN or remote (anywhere within the U.S.A.)
- Start Date: June 7, 2021 – August 27, 2021
- Compensation: $15.00/hour
Intern, Brains On:
Brains On! is an award-winning audio show for kids and families. Our mission is to encourage kids’ natural curiosity and wonder using science and history…but there’s no age limit on curiosity and episodes of Brains On can be enjoyed by anyone. The program also encourages audiences' curiosity and gives young people the tools they need to navigate a changing world in an open-minded and thoughtful way.
As the Brains On! Intern, you will have the opportunity to help produce a program designed to engage the next generation of public media listeners.
Key Learning Goals:
- Learn how to take an idea and turn it into a produced piece for the podcast, learning writing, researching, audio editing skills along the way
- Learn how to work collaboratively with a remote team
- Help research the many fascinating questions our audience sends to us, from "why do our feet stink?" to "what's at the edge of the universe?"
- Conduct interviews with experts in STEM fields and beyond
- Write scripts for explanatory pieces, or skits
- Edit audio -- interviews, music, sound effects -- into finished pieces for the show
- Post and engage with the Brains On! audience on social media
- Enrolled Sophomore, Junior, or Senior in an undergraduate or Master’s program OR have earned a degree within the last 12 months
- Understanding of how to conduct journalistic research, what are reliable sources of information
- Audio editing
- Writing for jourmalism
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
- What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
- Where do you see yourself professionally in five-years and how will this role help you achieve that goal?
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.