- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Location: One of Marketplace’s offices in LA, NY, DC or remote (anywhere within the U.S.A.)
- Start Date: June 7, 2021 – December 17, 2021
- Compensation: $15.00/hour
Intern, On Demand – Marketplace Podcasts:
As the On-Demand Intern, you will work on several shows, including The Uncertain Hour, a documentary-style podcast about obscure policies, forgotten histories and why America's like this. You will work on small teams with strong mentors and will gain experience in all aspect of podcast creation.
Specifically, you will:
- research and pitch stories
- find sources and conduct pre-interviews
- book guests
- file public records requests
- log tape
- edit interviews and pull selects in Audition and Pro Tools
- participate in group edits and feedback sessions
- perform other duties as assigned
Key Learning Goals:
Our On Demand teams are small and collaborative. You will have the opportunity to:
- Improve technical skills (editing audio, recording audio, transcription programs, etc.)
- Improve soft skills (communication, critical thinking, leadership)
- Learn narrative storytelling by participating in group edits
- Research and pitch stories
- Find sources, conduct pre-interviews and book guests
- Log tape and pull selects
- Participate in group edits and feedback sessions
- Enrolled Senior in an undergraduate or Master’s program OR have earned a degree within the last 12 months
- Some familiarity editing audio (we will train)
- Familiarity with journalism ethics
- Experience in journalism
- Interest in narrative storytelling
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
- What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
- Where do you see yourself professionally in five-years and how will this role help you achieve that goal?
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.