STAT is looking for an accomplished science writer to join its world-class team of reporters covering health, medicine, and the life sciences.
The ideal candidates should be deeply sourced and extremely knowledgeable about core areas of medical science, including cancer, genetics, and neuroscience. They should have demonstrated the ability to break news and write enterprise — authoritative and compelling stories from the lab to the clinic. They should be lucid writers who can make science not only accessible but interesting.
- Produce authoritative, leading coverage, including conceptual and news scoops.
- Write for both our free audience and Plus subscribers, including quick-turn news and narratives and projects.
- Assist editors and colleagues in reviewing and vetting research papers.
- Work with STAT’s multimedia team on videos, graphics, and podcasts, and assist the events team with organizing and hosting events.
- At least three years of professional experience as a journalist covering science, or equivalent experience.
- We prefer that this reporter be based at our Boston headquarters post-pandemic.
STAT prides itself on its culture, so collaborative spirit, flexibility, and willingness to innovate are essential. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media but operates independently from The Boston Globe.