Brave New Films is seeking to fill a part-time researcher position (20 hours/week) with potential to transition into full time this Spring. This person will bring strong journalistic skills to bear in supporting our short form and long form documentaries, by researching topics, statistics, footage, photos, and background information to be used in films, as well as helping coordinate with relevant partners, sources and participants, and supporting with analysis, concepts and story outlines.
This person must be Los Angeles based. Will work remotely until L.A. County approves non-essential workers to go back to office, then will work from that time at our Culver City location.
- Find video clips, facts, statistics, images, and background information from multiple and reliable sources for use in current projects;
- Search for original sources of images or creative common footage and support clearance and licensing;
- Synthesizing research into story recommendations, outlines and rough scripts.
- Developing ties with research institutions and activist organizations working in the space of our topics.
- Developing sources and potential film subjects. Conducting pre-interviews.
- Support in creation of project pitch materials, mood boards, pitch decks, reference materials.
- Contribute to the growth and creativity of the Team by bringing new ideas, videos and visuals to the table to provide inspiration;
- Participate actively in brainstorms and meetings, offering feedback and knowledge of current trends.
- Significant knowledge of political and social justice issues;
- Strong journalistic and research skills;
- Solid writing skills;
- Educational background in journalism or film;
- Ability to tell a compelling and coherent story;
- Desire to push oneself and a hunger to try new things;
- A plus, but not required: knowledge of Adobe Premiere, basic graphic design, interviewing skills, scriptwriting, production skills.
Room for potential advancement into full time staff position with benefits
Sunday, January 24th
How to Apply:
Submit a resume, cover letter and the following materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sample of research and writing;
- Optional: Sample of film, video, article or published study you have created or supported (and your role).
BNF is committed to encouraging diversity and inclusion into our workplace where such values are at the forefront of our daily work and interactions. We value and seek diverse team members who are passionate, innovative, and supportive of these values.
BNF provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.