Executive Editor: Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting
About Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting
We are an independent, locally owned, community-supported public media organization. PCBC is home to Pittsburgh’s NPR News station, 90.5 WESA, and 91.3 WYEP, serving Pittsburgh and the surrounding communities of western Pennsylvania. The mission of PCBC is to create and distribute trusted content, build connections, and strengthen our community through public media.
90.5 WESA is the largest radio news and information service in Pittsburgh. Honored with dozens of national and regional awards, our journalism plays a critical role in the 21st Century rebirth of one of America’s great cities. Its sister station, 91.3 WYEP, is an essential element of Pittsburgh’s cultural community, as a source for musical discovery and a home for local musical performance for nearly 50 years.
We are looking for an exceptional and experienced journalist, skilled with people and expert in developing and leading journalistic strategy and output, to serve as Executive Editor for Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation. Reporting directly to the President and CEO, this individual will oversee all journalism, lead multi-platform news and information services on broadcast and digital platforms that inform and serve the communities of western Pennsylvania, grow broad and diverse audiences, build audience engagement, and inspire individual and institutional support of our work.
This position will be a fit if…
- You have deep knowledge of journalism and have successful experience as a leader of journalists.
- You understand and embrace strong journalistic principles and ethics. Honesty, integrity, and transparency are essential elements of your character.
- You are skilled leader, with a style rooted in clear and concise communication, with a collaborative and communicative work style.
- You have an exceptional level of emotional intelligence, can successfully balance the competing demands of your job, and can model for all a smart and focused approach to your work.
- You have excellent team leadership and delegation skills: you set clear goals & expectations for your staff, provide candid and honest coaching and feedback, and understand performance management.
- You are a “builder”, and not just a “manager.”
- You have the demonstrated ability to lead creation of content that attracts and grows audiences.
- You enjoy partnering with fellow senior executives to share organizational stewardship to move an enterprise forward.
- You have a passionate belief that local journalism must be preserved and grown if the communities of western Pennsylvania are to thrive, and are driven to take on that challenge.
The Executive Editor’s responsibilities include…
- Leading journalism and vision for our broadcast, digital, and mobile platforms to serve, engage and grow audiences.
- Owning the organization’s news content strategy and its daily execution.
- Collaborating with managers to run the newsroom and our distribution platforms, including 90.5 WESA and our digital outlets.
- Hiring and coaching talent: hiring the best, coaching and mentoring, evaluating & providing direction.
- Setting clear goals for the team and maintaining focus through clear, direct, and regular communication.
- Promoting innovation and smart risk-taking to grow our journalistic service.
- Dealing confidently, competently, and calmly with the stresses that come in a journalistic enterprise.
- Maintaining full compliance with FCC and CPB rules and regulations, company policy, applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer as a member of the Senior Leadership Team: setting enterprise-wide goals and assuming shared responsibility for the success of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting.
- 10+ years significant and successful senior-level oversight of journalism – experience in broadcasting a plus, but not mandatory.
- Clear understanding of changing roles in local news, and a vision for public media’s potential to be a primary source for news & information, using broadcast, digital and mobile platforms.
- Capable of developing a strategic vision for news and then translating that vision into reality.
- Significant experience with content and business disciplines and systems, including budgeting, financial management and strategic planning.
- Knowledge of and experience with audience research tools and data resources, coupled with the ability to make disciplined decisions based on analysis and sound judgment.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, deadline-centric and accurate in all work.
- Flexible, creative, entrepreneurial, and assertive in achieving goals.
- Exceptional and adaptive communication skills, both oral and written.
- Proven passion for news and information, a commitment to the mission of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting, and a strong desire to serve the community.
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental and vision benefits, a 403(b) retirement plan with very generous matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays, maternity and new parent leave, and a workplace that is fun, diverse and innovative.
This position routinely requires use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and printers. This position requires travel to various areas of Western Pennsylvania. Office hours are flexible but typically are Monday - Friday, 8:30-5:30, however, evenings and weekend work will be required.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Employee development is critical to the missions of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting and its stations, so we invest resources in providing development opportunities for all employees.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting places a high priority on employee safety and well-being; given the current COVID-19 pandemic, access to the Community Broadcast Center is restricted and most operations are remote.
Please visit the recruitment site for more information to submit your materials. You must submit a cover letter, resume, and three references. In your application, please let us know how you heard about the position.
This position is available immediately, and the search for candidates may be terminated without notice. No phone calls, please.