Tradeoffs is a nonprofit health policy podcast whose mission is to create a trustworthy source of journalism that engages people intellectually and emotionally. All too often health care decision makers lack the necessary facts and data they need to make informed decisions that impact the lives of millions of Americans. Our work ensures that policymakers, industry leaders, and the American public are better informed about the tough choices required to reform the U.S. health care system.
Our show follows three principles: (1) rely on research and evidence; (2) employ storytelling techniques; and (3) focus on the intersection of policy, money and people.
Tradeoffs is looking for a reporter/producer to join our small but dedicated team to produce weekly episodes that help policymakers, industry leaders and the American public better understand our health care system.
This is a full-time, grant-funded position for one year, beginning early 2021. It will report to the Host/Executive Producer and can be done from anywhere. The salary range is $70,000-$85,000. We are a remote team spread across the country, and due to production schedules and the nature of news, this position may be asked to work outside normal working hours.
What you’ll do:
- Pitch, report and produce an average of two 10-15 minute episodes per month. These include interview-based policy and research explainers, profiles of people impacted by or working on health policy, and narrative features.
- Book and interview guests including health care experts, medical providers and patients
- Support host in preparing for and conducting guest interviews
- Sound design, score and mix episodes in coordination with Sound Designer
- Create supplemental website content for episodes
- Work with Marketing and Communications Manager to promote Tradeoffs, potentially serving as a guest on other media outlets
- Offer peer editing and feedback on episodes led by other producers
- Collaborate with the rest of our small team as projects arise
What you’ll bring:
- At least 3 years experience in journalism, or equivalent experience
- Experience in audio journalism, audio production and/or podcasting
- Strong writing skills
- Familiarity with Adobe Audition or other digital audio editing software
- Ability to produce high-quality content on deadline
- Capacity to work independently and make progress on multiple assignments simultaneously
- Interest in (and ideally familiarity with) health care and health policy
- Comfort (and ideally experience) reading and vetting academic research and other data for stories
- Passion for explanatory journalism and storytelling
- Eagerness to have fun and collaborate with a small and dedicated team
Don’t feel like you can check every single box above? That’s okay! If you’re passionate about this job, we want to meet you!
Tradeoffs is committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace. Everyone, especially those from historically underrepresented groups, are encouraged to apply. We value lived experience, including with the systems that shape our health and health care, in addition to work experience. Tradeoffs does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability.
How to apply:
Send a resume, cover letter and 2-3 work samples (audio if available) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to see your best work!