Reporter Job Description:
Under the direction of the Managing Editor, the Reporter is responsible for sourcing news; gathering, understanding, and then delivering a collection of assets (written, visual, data-driven) that tell a great story.
This position requires an individual with a high degree of community interest, strong journalistic ethics and background, and an ability to find and communicate the stories of our coverage area in innovative ways.
The position also requires an individual who is fluent (or willing to become fluent) in established and emerging social media, basic photography and video, and the principles of data journalism.
- Maintains a high standard for quality and on-time production of editorial content.
- Consistently produces content that delivers high reader engagement and reach.
- Takes ownership of the promotion of his / her content. Meets / exceeds company expectations in terms of promoting content to concerned parties.
- Effectively coordinates coverage schedules to meet deadlines.
- Shares information / mentors others in the department as requested / needed.
- Participates / innovates / leads efforts which result in circulation growth.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively source story leads & submit assets on time.
- Provide photo / video coverage of events as assigned.
- Cover events outside of specialty / assigned beat as assigned.
- Work with company supplied workflow management tools to track story progress.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong editorial mindset.
Comfortable with digital publishing tools.
Fluency in AP style.
Demonstrates good judgment, critical thinking skills, and problem-solving abilities.
Available to work evenings and weekends as required to meet editorial needs.
Ability / willingness to learn photo, audio, and video skills.
Education and Experience:
Associates degree or equivalent experience
1-3 years of reporting experience preferred
EEOC (Equal Employee Opportunity Commission)