Executive Producer, Here & Now
WBUR, Boston’s NPR news station, is a public media organization committed to exceptional journalism and deep civic engagement — providing news, analysis and entertainment to Boston and beyond — on air, online at wbur.org, on demand and on stage. Here & Now is WBUR’s daily mid-day news magazine with its one of a kind editorial partnership with NPR. As a WBUR flagship production, Here & Now is heard on nearly 500 radio stations across the country with five million weekly listeners. The show is broadcast Monday - Friday, live 12 pm – 2 pm ET with rollovers & updates 2 pm – 4 pm ET.
The Executive Producer will define the editorial direction of the weekday news magazine. Working closely with hosts, producers, editors and technical directors, the Executive Producer will set the agenda for an ambitious and high-quality news magazine. The Executive Producer will play an active leadership role with colleagues at NPR News and with WBUR’s senior leadership.
The position requires a seasoned and generous leader, who brings integrity, humanity and levity to the demanding task of producing a daily news magazine. The ideal candidate has the editorial experience necessary to project a compelling vision and guide a large team producing this vital mid-day program. The Executive Producer reads widely and brings a sophisticated understanding of the most consequential issues confronting the country and the world today. This leader will be a coach and a mentor who inspires the trust and confidence of the entire staff.
- Sets and maintains overall editorial direction, tone, pacing and execution for Here & Now - empowering and inspiring the creativity of the entire Here & Now team;
- Oversees the conception and development of Here & Now broadcasts and related online storytelling;
- Supervises a Senior Managing Editor, three hosts, two assistant managing editors, two editors for a contributing network of reporters from member stations, and Here & Now’s two technical directors;
- Focuses on editorial rigor, the pursuit of powerful and distinct stories, and finding a diversity of voices to capture the most compelling and important stories in the news;
- Mentors and coaches a team of talented journalists to help develop editorial muscle — quality reporting and writing, as well as exceptional audio craft;
- Leads the effort to recruit a diverse pool of talented and creative journalists from varying backgrounds and experiences;
- Works with Managing Editor(s) at NPR News to execute Here & Now’s editorial vision and partnership with NPR;
- Works closely with WBUR’s Chief Content Officer on growth and strategy related to Here & Now.
- 6-10 years of deep editorial experience, including leadership roles in program and audio news production;
- Ability to create a compelling vision;
- Skilled leader and people manager, who loves to coach and mentor staff;
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Excellent news judgement; strong working knowledge of audio news production.
- Exceptional writing, editing and producing skills;
- Ability to lead and supervise a large editorial team in a high pressure and complex production environment;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Driven leader with relentless energy and a collaborative spirit, who inspires creative thinking and continuous improvement;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines;
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills;
- High degree of emotional intelligence;
- Calm under pressure.
Competitive compensation package. Comprehensive health package and retirement benefits.
To apply: email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Boston University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.