Managing Producer, Local News
WBUR, Boston’s NPR news station, is a public media organization committed to exceptional journalism and deep civic engagement — providing news, analysis and entertainment on air, online at wbur.org, on demand and on stage. WBUR is the home of national programs Here & Now and On Point, reaching millions of listeners each week on more than 500 public radio stations nationwide. The WBUR iLab produces popular podcasts including Circle Round and Endless Thread. WBUR serves its local community with the largest public radio newsroom in the country and with CitySpace a dynamic, new venue for civic discourse and cultural exchange.
The Managing Producer is responsible for oversight and supervision of all local programming: Morning Edition, Radio Boston, All Things Considered, Weekend Edition, and newscast.
Reporting to the Executive Editor, News, the position requires someone who is highly motivated, ambitious and organized. Someone who is a clear thinker with exceptional news judgment able to triage news in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment. This person will work closely with the Managing Editors and Executive Editors for News and Digital to strategize coverage plans and assignments, manage show rundowns, and supervise show bookings. The role requires a highly resourceful individual deeply knowledgeable in both the editorial and the technical aspects of broadcast, able to assess situations quickly and clearly and take action. A key aspect of this job is supervising show hosts and lead producers, providing regular, critical feedback on broadcasts.
- Works with show staff and newsroom leaders to establish and meet unique goals for each show, with distinct voice and sensibility.
- Simultaneously develops and executes a broader programming strategy that encompasses all local air, and ensures that all broadcasts comply with WBUR’s editorial standards.
- Sets newscasts priorities, working with Managing Editors and show leads to strike a balance of breaking news and enterprise.
- Manages broadcast master calendar.
- Plans and oversees special broadcasts.
- Helps oversee daily news budgets, in coordination with Managing Editors and Executive Editors of News and Digital.
- Supervises hosts and lead show staff, providing regular, constructive feedback.
- Curates bookings across local air.
- Edits or delegates editing of host features, field pieces and interviews.
- Direct supervision of lead show staff, Morning Edition and ATC hosts, and Weekend Managing Editor.
- 10+ years journalism experience, including significant experience in broadcast, preferably in public radio.
- 5+ years supervisory and managerial experience.
- Demonstrated solid news judgement; strong working knowledge of local news.
- Exceptional collaborative and team building skills, with the capacity to build diverse and inclusive environments.
- Knowledge of audio and broadcast production.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines, while ensuring high journalistic standards.
- Excellent organizational and attention to detail.
Highly competitive compensation package. Comprehensive health package and retirement benefits. Boston University holds the station license.
To apply: email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org