A CPR News Audience Editor, as part of the news digital team, ensures that the newsroom is serving all Coloradans with its digital products by understanding who Coloradans are, who is served by which stories, features, beats and projects, identifying the gaps between those and identifying opportunities to close those gaps and times when we must start anew. This audience editor leads the CPR News team on Saturdays, and edits and produces news stories every day.
View Full Description (PDF)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pitch, edit, produce, publish and distribute digital news stories in collaboration with the news digital team and other editors in the newsroom to serve all Coloradans by delivering on documented beat priorities.
- Lead the CPR News team on Saturdays.
- Contribute to news digital team strategy by participating in quarterly priority setting.
- Help achieve news digital team goals by researching, implementing and innovating digital news best practices.
- Serve and develop a diverse audience and ensure diversity in sourcing in collaboration with editors and reporters before, during and after the reporting and writing of individual stories, paying particular attention to underserved communities.
- Contribute to an inclusive newsroom culture and inclusive news products.
- Lead audience-focused story meetings with small teams in the newsroom.
- Imagine, test and improve upon digital news products using audience-focused processes.
View the full job description.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Colorado Public Radio.
- Minimum of 5 years of strong journalism experience.
- Impeccable news judgment and outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Must be able to thrive in an environment that requires juggling multiple tasks and deadlines and have strong organizational skills.
- Written and spoken Spanish fluency strongly preferred.
- Audience development skills and experience preferred.
- Familiarity with web metrics tools such as Google Analytics and Parse.ly preferred.
Position works Tuesday-Saturday. Non-standard working hours guaranteed. On call as needed and accountable for establishing backup on-call staff when unavailable.
Position is based in CPR's downtown Denver newsroom.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, three professional references and salary expectations to email@example.com with "Audience Editor" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace