St. Louis is rich with science and environmental stories. Where else will you find a landfill with an underground fire right next to a landfill contaminated with radioactive waste? Where else do you have debates over how best to manage coal ash ponds in an area prone to flooding? And where else can you find all of that in the same city where some of the most cutting edge scientific research is happening at three major universities?
St. Louis Public Radio is looking for an environment reporter to report, write and produce news stories for radio and the web.
The station has an amazing opportunity for a creative, innovative, energetic reporter who is eager to tackle the region’s complicated environment and science news. We’re looking for someone who isn’t afraid to explore complicated stories and tell them coherently and in a way that lets people know why the information matters. We want a journalist who can see through PR spin and explain the issues accurately, honestly and creatively. We are also seeking a reporter who understands how to develop a beat, break stories and follow issues over the long haul. A great candidate would also have a record of journalistic excellence, a passion for storytelling and enthusiasm for innovation.
To succeed in the environment reporter role, you would:
- Be able to identify relevant, environment and science-related stories, put them into context and explain them in an engaging manner.
- Know how to develop a beat and aim to be the region's leading reporter on science and the environment.
- Have the capacity to understand issues relevant to the St. Louis region.
- Have a background in environmental issues and/or science and be familiar with trends and issues.
- Be willing to experiment with multiple forms of storytelling, for the web, broadcast and mobile.
- Help foster community discussion about science and environmental issues that affect the region.
A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, science or a related field is required with a minimum of two years reporting experience. Successful previous public radio reporting and audio digital editing experience is desirable.
The University of Missouri and St. Louis Public Radio are fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive environment that embraces diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives with an unabiding commitment to freedom of expression. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
$50,000 - $62,000/annual, dependent upon experience.
To learn more, visit stlpr.org/jobs.
Samples of your work are required as part of the application. Please include with your submission a cover letter outlining your qualifications and your ideas for how this job can best serve St. Louis area residents. For additional information, call: (314) 516-7353 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: August 27, 2020.