CoinDesk is the leading media platform covering the emergence of a new financial system and serving the next generation of global investing. Founded in 2013, its journalism, research and events provide critical insights to emerging cryptocurrencies, blockchain and related technologies, and the industries developing around them.
CoinDesk is a quickly growing company with incredible ambition. We are expanding our multimedia offerings by building out our live programming and on-demand video products. We’d love for you to join us if you’re willing to take on new challenges and immerse yourself in a world of intelligent, forward thinking and also, fun humans.
Based in NYC, CoinDesk has over 75 full-time employees around the world and is an independently run subsidiary of the Digital Currency Group, the largest investment & operating company in the blockchain industry.
CoinDesk is looking for a Head of Studio Operations/Head Engineer to join its growing digital video team. This person is ready to roll up his or her sleeves to help launch “CoinDesk TV” with an exciting slate of daily & weekly live and taped shows. You will play an integral role in the buildout of a new studio and control room. In addition to managing a small team consisting of a Director/TD, Master Control op and Audio engineer to start, you will play a hands on role in helping do whatever it technically takes to execute live and taped programs in a creative, clean and efficient manner. Most important, you must be a team player who leads by example and works well with your own staff as well as other departments. This position is based at our headquarters office in New York City.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the senior production leadership team to develop workflow and technically execute original new live and taped programs on brand for CoinDesk
- Managing control room team and developing best practices for executing daily rundowns, graphics generation, pre and post video editing
- Scheduling control room staff (and freelancers) and studio shoots
- Mentoring junior staff
- Troubleshooting and making recommendations for best practices and solutions to technical issues, equipment, staffing, content management systems, etc.
- Negotiating and working with external vendors for services/products related to the studio & control room
- Working with senior leadership to develop and test backup plans for remote production should another pandemic require it
- Coordinating and supporting large and small offsite productions and live feeds for CoinDesk Events (conferences etc.)
- Understanding and filling-in in various roles in the control room and studio when necessary
- Highly collaborative, creative, and ‘bring it every day’ attitude
- At least 8-10 years of studio production experience at a broadcast, digital news publication, film, streaming service or advertising agency
- Deep knowledge and understanding of video and audio workflows and technologies, streaming tech, studio engineering and various control room equipment (switchers, audio boards, transmissions, graphics, etc.) and studio equipment (robo cams, lighting grids, etc.)
- Previous experience with buildout of studio and integration of control room a huge plus
- Must work well under daily deadline pressure and demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Oriented towards creative and out-of-the-box thinking and solutions
- Previous experience with hiring and managing personnel
- Experience in newsroom content management systems like WordPress, rundown management tools (like ENPS, iNews, Rundown Creator, etc.) and digital asset management tools
- Flexibility in scheduling as we experiment with launching new video shows and multimedia products
What CoinDesk offers:
- Full-time position
- Competitive salary and bonus offerings
- Robust Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Life & disability coverage
- Blockchain & Crypto Training Sessions
- We celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, and our new hires!