Select Equity Group was founded in 1990 on the premise that rigorous fundamental research and disciplined investing will drive superior investment returns. Today, the Firm has more than $20 billion in AUM across multiple strategies utilizing a team-based approach and centralized research effort. Our global client base includes high-net-worth individuals, multi-family offices, endowments, foundations, private banks, insurance companies and public and corporate pensions. Our more than 140 employees possess diversity of thought, experiences and backgrounds and share a commitment to our Core Principles (below). Our employees thrive in a collaborative environment that empowers them to apply curiosity, creativity and continuous improvement in pursuit of differentiated excellence for our clients.
Commitment to Giving Back: The Select Equity Group Foundation, established in 2000, makes a positive impact by actively engaging all employees in identifying and supporting charitable organizations of excellence.
Location: Select Equity Group’s corporate office is based in New York City, but work location is flexible including full-time remote employment within the United States or United Kingdom.
The Qualitative Field Analyst is an important member of the field research team and reports to the Director of Field Research. This position is responsible for working independently and alongside investment analysts to conduct deep qualitative research on Select Equity’s universe of publicly-traded companies, as well as the context in which they operate. The Qualitative Field Analyst is responsible for delivering written and verbal research reports to help inform investment decisions.
- Gathering insight on companies of interest by talking to a wide range of sources, e.g., customers, competitors, suppliers, etc.
- Developing an understanding of the company’s competitive position, growth prospects, and quality of its management team.
- Delivering research findings to the Firm’s portfolio managers and analysts via written and verbal reports.
- Most of the work is completed by phone, and the work location is flexible within the US and UK. Some travel is required.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Given the reporting and writing responsibilities of the job, the preferred candidate’s track record will include, at minimum, 5 years of journalism experience.
- Familiarity with business and investment fundamentals. An understanding of what makes a good business and ability to interpret financial statements to pose questions about the quality of a company.
- Persistence and ability to dig until the questions are answered.
- Impeccable communications and conversational skills: accessible and easy to talk with, asks smart and thoughtful questions, good listener.
- Proven ability to be accountable for a high volume of priority assignments and efficiently delivering quality reports.
- Results-oriented vs. task-oriented: ability to get the information needed to make an investment decision vs. the information requested.
- Resourceful and effective in finding interviewees and other sources of information to understand companies and industries.
- Strong moral compass and judgement.
- Minimum education level: Bachelor’s degree (need not be in journalism).
- Fit with Select Equity’s Core Principles (below)
- Originality: We generate our own ideas and never deploy common practice without skepticism. We strive to avoid the herd.
- Innate Curiosity: There are no dumb questions. We challenge universally accepted beliefs and seek new angles of understanding.
- Charity: We recognize our good fortune and give back to society in meaningful and thoughtful ways.
- Continuous Improvement: We always strive to improve our performance and measure ourselves absolutely, not relatively.
- Humility: We seek no acclaim individually or as a Firm other than earning the gratitude of our clients.
- Teamwork: We trust our colleagues and communicate with transparency and respect. Ours is a culture of giving credit, not seeking credit.