The Cap Times is seeking an Audience Strategist to help us build relationships with readers across platforms including our website, email newsletters and social media with the goal of growing our paid membership program. We are a digital-first media organization that covers public affairs and culture in Madison, Wisconsin. As the state capital, politics is an essential part of our DNA, but Madison is also the home of a growing and thriving tech economy.
In the past year, our newsroom has made important progress in getting the membership program off the ground and moving forward, but we are looking for more expertise to make it flourish. You will be working with supportive, friendly colleagues eager to share and assist, because your successes will also be theirs.
We’re looking for a team member who has:
- 2+ years of experience in a newsroom or comparable content-generating environment.
- An interest in identifying trends within audience data and defining strategies to improve those trends.
- The ability to juggle strategic thinking and hands-on tactical work.
- A track record of growing audiences, managing and optimizing email newsletters, and a creative approach to promotion.
- Ability to try new tools, share knowledge and skills with colleagues.
- Demonstrated fluency and creativity using social media and other tools to reach a wide variety of audiences.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field is preferred.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with the leadership team, the audience strategist assists with overall goal-setting for the organization, including the internal and external key performance indicators for traffic, loyalty, engagement and membership.
- Assists in creating an editorial plan that reflects audience feedback and interests.
- Responsible for reporting data to the newsroom on a weekly basis to keep us on track.
- Responsible for evaluating and executing overall newsletter strategy and goals.
- Works to design or adapt newsletter products to audience needs.
- Set goals for newsletter list growth and execute tactics to support those goals, including site popup management.
- May produce or help produce individual newsletters.
Social Media and SEO
- Establishes and manages a social media and SEO workflow for the newsroom, including training, documentation and newsroom cheerleading.
- Responsible for goal-setting and growth plans based on previous traffic, engagement and editorial plans.
- Makes recommendations for paid strategies and tactics.
- Assist leadership in setting community engagement goals as well as producing and executing events.
- Help communicate with members, answer member questions, distribute member benefits and troubleshoot individual problems.
- Google Analytics
- Social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- GSuite, Microsoft Excel
This is a full-time position preferably based in our Madison, WI office. It is grant-funded and limited term, with the possibility of becoming a permanent position. Benefits offered include medical, dental, and vision insurances; company paid life and long term disability insurance; company matched 401k; employee assistance program; and paid vacation, personal, sick, and holiday time. Pre-employment background and drug screenings apply. Capital Newspapers is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are committed to maintaining a workforce that accurately reflects our audience and expands our voice. Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter that includes examples of successful audience strategies you've implemented to Managing Editor Chris Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, June 15. Please put “Audience Strategist” in the subject line.