This position has had a title change and was originally posted as Digital Managing Editor. Those who had previously applied for the Digital Managing Editor position will still be considered for this newly titled role.
The Editorial Director, TexasMonthly.com is at the core of our web operation. This person will be responsible for conceiving and executing an editorial vision for our online operation that delivers robust, responsive, and balanced content for the web. Successful applicants will have an eagle editing eye, a nose for news, a solid understanding of SEO and other best practices, a knack for audience engagement, an eye toward audience growth, and a metabolism suitable to the news cycle. This position will report directly to the editor in chief.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assign and edit, in collaboration with other editors, a daily mix of stories that reflect the full range of topics that are of interest to our readers
- Oversee and coordinate with an editorial staff that includes dedicated digital editors as well as writers and editors who work for both print and web
- Oversee hiring and supervision of web copy and fact contractors
- Recruit new talent, on a freelance and possibly staff basis, for the site
- Manage the web publishing calendar
- Oversee the transfer and adaptation of stories from the print issue for publishing on the web
- Write or help refine headlines and deks to improve readability and reach
- Serve as central point of contact for other Texas Monthly departments re: TexasMonthly.com
- Coordinate with Apple News and other publishers on promotion of Texas Monthly stories on their platforms
- Oversee the social media editor and interface with the product, events, and consumer marketing teams as needed
- Help to produce, compile, and proof editorial newsletters
- Track digital freelance expenses
- Keep the editorial staff abreast of web performance and progress toward traffic targets
Successful candidates will possess the following skills/abilities:
• Sharp editorial vision, keen line-editing skills, and managerial savvy
• Jedi-level WordPress skills
• Familiarity with Airtable or other project management tools
• Social media fluency
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar field
• 3-5 years’ experience in a similar role
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position, we invite you to apply. Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED. TEXAS MONTHLY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.