Our new features editor will help edit the magazine’s signature feature stories, both online and in print. Ideal candidates should be digitally fluent, literary-minded journalists who are able to move easily among mediums, story styles, and subject matters. Duties will run from story ideation and development to line editing, as well as managing and editing some service packages. Some writing may also be required. You will also be expected to cultivate a reliable and diverse stable of writing talent and meet deadlines (and help others do the same). This position will report directly to the features director.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Editing a mix of feature stories and shorter pieces
- Curating quality story ideas and shepherding them from infancy to production
- Making freelance assignments and grooming new freelance talent
- Crafting headlines, deks, and any manner of display type, for an array of platforms
- Writing and editing for texasmonthly.com
- Help writers plan a reporting approach and create a compelling narrative structure for ambitious feature stories up to 10,000 words
Successful candidates will possess the following skills/abilities:
Great facility with language, not only when editing stories but also when communicating with fellow staffers
Enthusiasm for digital storytelling and making use of modern web tools to do so
A nose for good narratives and the ability to execute them to their fullest potential
Precise, grammatically minded line-editing chops
An appreciation for deadlines
Three to five years’ experience editing long-form pieces for a magazine, be it in print or online, preferred.
Applicants should have, or be able to swiftly develop, an intimate knowledge of Texas—its past, its present, and, above all else, the innumerable ways in which it allows for great storytelling.
If you are a qualified candidate, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED. TEXAS MONTHLY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.