Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC In Person. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
We're looking for an energetic general assignment reporter who will help sharpen our daily KPCC newscasts and contribute to LAist.com. The right candidate for this job is curious and a quick study. We want someone who understands the region and thrives when taking on a wide-range of topics on tight deadlines. The GA reporter will bring strong journalism fundamentals, knowledge and curiosity to the job. We are looking for a creative thinker who consistently considers the audience in story selection and execution. We want a reporter who will produce balanced and thoughtful reporting, and someone who is truly excited for the fast-paced nature of the job.
Application deadline: November 18, 2019 (10pm PT)
- Researches and reports for broadcast and digital platforms on daily deadline. Provides timely coverage of some of the most important stories in Southern California.
- Looks for creative ways to tackle daily news, asking questions other people are not.
- Uses social media to break news and share reporting process. Embraces engagement journalism as a part of the storytelling process. Delivers stories with developed on-air style and originality in writing. Delivers live two-ways on news programs and talk shows. Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least two years of relevant professional journalism experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong writing and reporting skills.
- Ability to report, evaluate and integrate information quickly and translate for SCPR audiences.
- Ability to perform a variety of assignments thoroughly.
- Commitment to learn and enact best journalism practices.
- Experience in or familiarity with public radio news.
- Ability to use sound, when available, to create scenes that engage the listener and convey the emotion of the story.
- Ability to consistently produce timely and substantive reports on a tight deadline.
- Proficient in use of recording and production equipment.
- Ability to develop stories with multiple interviews, scene changes, and strong knowledge of subject matter.
- Become and remain a member in good standing of SAG-AFTRA by the thirtieth (30th) day of employment.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Fluency in other languages used by significant portions of Southern California communities desirable.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions