Do you want to work in a fast-paced newsroom on the biggest stories in the Bay Area? Do you have a passion for news and sports and want to play a key role on a major metropolitan digital team?
We’re looking for an ambitious, versatile journalist with digital news-curation skills to join SFChronicle.com.
The sports+news online producer will have experience working as a website producer and/or social media editor in a newsroom, preferably on a sports media team. Digital storytelling skills and technical acumen are of the utmost importance in this role. We need a self-starter with high standards who can collaborate well, has excellent communication skills, and is comfortable providing and taking feedback.
- This position is full-time.
- It will likely include night and weekend work.
- Work with the sports department on key initiatives.
- Program the SFChronicle.com homepage and section pages with the proper content, balancing sharp news judgment and writing skills against real-time analytics.
- Create posts for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media channels for the Chronicle brand, while helping to hone the SFChronicle voice.
- Arrange assets with an eye for detail on article pages, including adding related items, choosing photo placement and building freeforms for video and interactive content.
- Work with digital project managers, editors and writers on innovative packages and new ways of storytelling.
- Help manage social media accounts, breaking news alerts and a newsletter campaign to drive engagement with our stories.
- Assist with our audio program that produces a slate of local podcasts.
Who we’re looking for:
- 3-7 years’ newsroom experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree, journalism focus preferred
- Excellent social media skills
- Sports literacy
- Understanding of media ethics
- Grasp of digital metrics
Mission: SFChronicle.com delivers the Bay Area’s best journalism and is recognized as the best large newspaper website in California. It is the Bay Area’s authoritative online news source, focused on San Francisco but inclusive of all California and Western news that reflects the unique Bay Area experience. We publish the stories that hit close to home for our readers every day.