Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: Washington, DC
Start Date: June 2020 - December 2020
Application Deadline: November 15, 2019
Intern, Marketplace - DC Bureau:
The DC bureau of Marketplace has an excellent internship opportunity for those who have an active interest in journalism. Marketplace Interns will be compensated on an hourly basis.
This is a six month internship position from June 2020 - December 2020.
- Learn and perform a variety of production, research, and editorial tasks, including cutting tape.
- Assist reporters in developing Web and social media content to accompany and complement their on-air stories.
- Write show promos, daily station updates, and other materials.
- Contribute ideas for stories and other editorial material.
- Conduct pre-interviews for on-air guests.
- Conduct 'person on the street' interviews.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Required to move about in the community.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level.
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
- Enrolled Senior in an undergraduate or Master's program OR have earned a degree within the last 12 months.
- A demonstrated interest in journalism (i.e. produced work for publication, worked at school newspaper/radio, etc.)
- Must have the ability to write, meet deadlines and work independently.
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft office products with the ability to learn new software programs.
- Must be available from June 2020 - January 2020.
- Coursework or experience in journalism, preferably broadcast.