The Rochester Post Bulletin is hiring a full-time Features Editor who will be responsible for organizing and planning the daily news and features section and communicating those plans to other relevant staff members.
- Assign staff members and freelance writers to collect information, write stories and produce digital elements for online and print.
- Edit copy for style, grammar, spelling, factual errors and length. Proofread news and features pages prior to publication or delegate this work to others in the features department on an as-needed basis.
- Assist in selecting photographs and visual elements for publication.
- Work with writers, graphic artists and photographers to develop ideas for feature section content and design.
- Monitor and approve all department expenditures. Make arrangements for and approve all freelance writing and photography for section.
- Contribute to the news and features section each week, either by way of writing or page design.
- Review and evaluate work of staff members.
- Run a weekly staff meeting, formulate a publication schedule and individual story lists, and act as a liaison between department reporters and other top-level editors.
- Attend news department joint staff meetings and report on department activities.
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Must have a journalism degree, or similar, from a four year college.
About the Organization
Have at least one year of journalism experience at a daily newspaper.
Must have sound news judgment, creative thinking and problem solving skills, and be an advocate for digital storytelling and video.
Must have a strong knowledge of AP style along with excellent grammar and spelling skills.
Must be able to work well with others in a collaborative process
Must be able to multitask, managing many different projects in a fast-paced newsroom.
Must possess a valid driver's license and a driving record that is insurable by the company.
Must carry an acceptable level of vehicle insurance as required by the company.
At Forum Communications Company, our legacy is deeply rooted in harnessing the power of communication to connect and inform people in the communities we serve. Since 1917, everything we do is driven by creating and sharing information, ideas and insights.
Today, we're a leading media and technology company that's home to a family of people whose passion and purpose is fueled by collaboration and innovation We believe in supporting each other, working hard towards common goals and having fun.
Come for the perks:
Excellent employee culture, competitive pay, comprehensive benefits package, generous paid time off, paid holidays and paid time off for birthday, 401(k), company-paid volunteer time, health and wellness initiatives, paid parental and pregnancy disability leave for qualifying employees.
Stay for the people:
Family-owned and operated since 1917, development and growth opportunities, inclusive, creative culture, safe working environment, employees of all ages and backgrounds, positive collaboration.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.