Type Investigations (formerly The Investigative Fund) is a nonprofit newsroom for independent journalists, dedicated to incubating investigative reporting with the potential for social impact. Our investigations are published or broadcast in partnership with a wide variety of print, broadcast and online outlets. Our stories have sparked FBI investigations, Congressional inquiries, federal indictments, the resignation of public officials, and more; they have also won many of journalism’s top awards, including the Emmy, the Peabody, the Polk Award, the National Magazine Award, and the Investigative Reporters & Editors Medal.
Type Investigations is a project of Type Media Center, a nonprofit that is also home to a bestselling book publishing imprint, Bold Type Books; the widely syndicated website TomDispatch; and a Journalism Fellowship program that supports dozens of reporters every year.
The Managing Editor will have both editorial and project management duties, including:
- A part-time editorial load, commissioning, editing, and overseeing stories;
- Communications, including guiding editorial messaging for our outside PR firm, project emails, and on social media;
- Administration, including managing editorial meetings; project budget; and relationships with contractors;
- Development support, including liaising with Type Media Center’s development team and providing editorial input into proposal writing and grant reporting;
- Supervision of junior staff, including managing project assignments, work flow, and deadlines.
Please send a resume, cover letter laying out your newsroom skills, references, and a writing or editing sample by September 3 to:
Taya Kitman, executive director, Type Media Center, 116 E. 16th St., 8th floor, New York, NY 10003, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.