Senior Specialist, Brand Writing -- Corporate Communications (Fulltime Freelance)
The Ad Council is where creativity and causes converge. We are a national nonprofit that uses the power of communications to tackle the most important issues facing the country. We've built a unique network of partners across media and tech, marketing and advertising, government and the nonprofit world, and we're the only organization in the world that does what we do at massive scale. But we need help telling our story on an ongoing basis, allowing the communications industry and potential partners to see the impact our campaigns are having.
And that's where you'd come in.
The Senior Specialist, Brand Writing will be responsible for helping to drive communications strategies for the Ad Council brand. He/she will serve as the gatekeeper of the Ad Council written narrative, advising on tone and drafting all brand language needs. She/he will also be responsible for helping to position Ad Council work through thought leadership articles and events.
The Specialist will stay abreast of industry trends, innovations and events, helping to brief Ad Council senior executives on thought leadership pieces and identifying opportunities for the Ad Council voice to surface in relevant news of the day.
The Senior Specialist, Brand Writing is the perfect role for someone with a journalism background who's looking to transition into corporate communications. In this role, the Specialist will be responsible for helping to tell the Ad Council story and highlight its legacy of impact through media stories, speeches and op-eds, articles and white papers, newsletters, panel talking points, external events and brand social media channels.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the VP of Brand & Communications, the position will be a part of the Ad Council's small-but-mighty Brand team.
Responsibilities to include:
- Drafting regular op-eds, blog posts, and thought pieces on behalf of Ad Council senior executives
- Staying on top of industry news and trends and advising Brand Team on how to position internal activities and projects so that they're relevant to the wider news cycle
- Drafting remarks for board and executive committee meetings
- Researching and drafting talking points for brand panels at conferences like Davos, Cannes, and Advertising Week
- Serving as copywriter support for fundraising and brand events
- Drafting and managing Ad Council publications and e-newsletters for various audiences
- Overseeing campaign and program case studies—videos and written
- Contributing to and co-managing Ad Council's blog Adlibbing.org, editing staff and guest blogger posts
- Provide ongoing community management for Ad Council social channels, including helping to maintain LinkedIn Influencer status through regular thought pieces
- Drafting copy for AdCouncil.org, PSA calendars, and other ad-hoc marketing needs
- Bachelor's Degree
- 5-8 years' experience in a journalism, corp comm or other writing-heavy role.
- Excellent oral/written communication, presentation and organizational skills.
- Ability to easily shift language tone to work for multiple, varied audiences. Ability to serve as ghostwriter for others. Experience writing for senior level executives a plus.
- Great project management ability – organized and detail-oriented with a capacity to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with staff within and outside of the department.
- Goal oriented, problem solver and team player.
- High energy, self-motivated with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Exercise good judgment; operate with warmth, a collaborative approach and 'can do' mindset.
- Passion for causes, volunteering, and/or philanthropy a plus.
The Ad Council(https://www.adcouncil.org/) is where creativity and causes converge at scale. We are a New York-based national non-profit organization, bringing together the brightest minds in the marketing, media, advertising and tech industries to create change around the most critical social issues facing our country. The Ad Council initiates, produces and activates communications campaigns that drive awareness and behavior change, creating a lasting impact on American life. We produce content that ignites new ideas, increases the health, education, and safety of our nation, and literally saves lives.
We are behind the iconic social good communications programs featuring Smokey Bear, “Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Drunk” and the viral campaign “Love Has No Labels” that celebrates diversity and promotes inclusion. We work hand in hand with the leading non-profit organizations, government agencies, corporate brands and media companies to develop over 40 national social good campaigns each year including Suicide Prevention, Gun Safety, Bullying Prevention, STEM for Girls, Pet Adoption and Texting and Driving Prevention.
The Ad Council team uses all the tools in the communications arsenal including developing PSAs and social media content, engaging talent, gaming, conducting media relations and grassroots marketing, and creating chat bots, digital and live events to raise awareness around social causes. We also have the opportunity to work with Board of Directors companies such as Amazon, Facebook, Google/YouTube, Snap, Pandora and Upworthy to leverage the latest tactics, tools and platforms that will have the most significant social impact.
To learn more about the Ad Council and its impactful campaigns visit www.adcouncil.org, like us on Facebook(http://www.facebook.com/adcouncil), follow us on Twitter(http://www.twitter.com/adcouncil) or view our PSAs on YouTube(http://www.youtube.com/adcouncil)
At the Ad Council, we value and celebrate the unique characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. Diversity is the foundation of our work and allows us to reimagine how we reach our audiences. It is not simply our belief, but our duty, to cultivate a team that is representative of the American people. Only then can we drive true, measurable, and life-changing impact on the most important issues facing our country today.
The Ad Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, national origin, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected status.
To apply online: https://www.adcouncil.org/Working-With-Us/Join-Us
The Ad Council invites all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please contact please submit your request through one of the following methods listed below:
Fax (212) 922-1676 or
US Mail to the Advertising Council
Attn: Human Resources
815 2nd Avenue; 9th Floor
New York, NY 10017
EEO is the Law(https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)