McClatchy is looking for an ambitious, high-energy, real-time news reporter to deliver quick-turn stories about compelling news and cultural phenomena from across the nation.
Our real-time reporters use social media, Google Trends and other tools to identify, write and/or aggregate stories that are going to drive social and cultural conversations. Responding to big breaking news events is sometimes part of the job, but the primary role is to grow our audience by recognizing what’s trending or about to trend in a McClatchy region or across the country.
This reporter will be based in Fort Worth, Texas, and will work as part of McClatchy’s nationwide Real-Time Team, which includes editors and reporters based in McClatchy properties across the country.
The most compelling candidates will have:
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and well
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting
- A good grasp of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms and tools used to surface story ideas
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and extremely high energy
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company
- Quick study of CMSes and storytelling tools
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of staff and editors
- Ability to verify the authenticity of information, sources, photos and video found through social media
Education: College degree preferred.
Personal Attributes: Energy, flexibility, and online smarts. The ability to monitor a vast amount of information for a wide audience, matched with discerning judgment about what to pursue. The ability to execute both quickly and well, with creativity.