POGO’s Center for Defense Information (CDI) is looking for a talented National Security Fellow to deepen CDI’s work analyzing and investigating Pentagon spending and operations. The National Security Fellow will report to the Director of the Center for Defense Information.
- Analyze issues of government waste, mismanagement, abuse, and corruption by working with sources and documents, with a primary focus on the spending and operations of the Department of Defense.
- Conduct investigations utilizing whistleblower information, Freedom of Information Act requests, government and non-government documents, and other resources.
- Disseminate and publicize investigative findings and advocate for reforms with the media, public, Congress, and other stakeholders and audiences. Will be responsible for direct contact with the media including providing background information and interviews for print, broadcast, radio, internet, and other outlets.
- Assist in shaping CDI’s short- and long-term investigative and policy goals.
- Minimum of 2 years of investigative experience including positions in the military, Congressional offices, law enforcement, journalism, and civil society—or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- A strong interest in national security issues—with expertise and knowledge of the field a plus but not required. (e.g. defense spending, the military budget, federal contracting, national security, weapons systems, military procurement)
- Demonstrated capacity to work with whistleblowers and other sources to further investigations—or demonstrated equivalent experience. Familiarity with the relevant players in the national security space and a network of sources to draw upon would be a plus, but not required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work on internal teams, across external organizations, and independently when necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including: writing clearly, organizing information in a compelling manner, and making effective arguments.
- Demonstrated track record of taking initiative to solve problems and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Demonstrated commitment to working in a nonpartisan manner with diverse stakeholders and policymakers.
Compensation and benefits:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience in the range of $60K-$85K.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance.
- 403(b) investment plan available, with employer retirement contribution once eligible.
- Life insurance and long-term disability coverage.
- Metro SmartTrip benefits.
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: CDI National Security Fellow, or mail application to: Project On Government Oversight, 1100 G Street, NW, #500, Washington, DC 20005. No phone calls please.
Submission Deadline: May 20, 2019
POGO provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. We encourage all interested