Director will supervise WHQR’s news coverage. The Assistant News Director will determine News Department policy in light of the station’s overall mission, and ensure that news offerings reflect the highest standards of audio production, journalistic ethics and public service using NPR’s best practices as a model. By coaching, diligent Together with the News Director and Station Manager, the Assistant News supervision and hands-on examples, the Assistant News Director will ensure that WHQR's standards of content and integrated NPR-style reporting are met. The Assistant News Director will serve as the primary Morning Edition Host for WHQR Public Media.
WHQR Public Media offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits; a talented, hard-working and fun group of station colleagues; a large, growing, dedicated audience; and a great place to live and work. Wilmington, NC has a small town feel, but with all of the attractions, activities and culture of a larger city. Rivaling both Charleston and Savannah in its charm and history, downtown Wilmington is less than 10 miles from some of the best beaches in the southeast. If you are looking to join a growing newsroom of award-winning journalists, then WHQR Public Media is the place for you! Under the supervision of the News Director, the Assistant News Director will demonstrate impeccable organizational skills, sound news judgment, and a solid grasp of journalism ethics and editorial decision-making. In the crucial role of weekday news anchor and host of Morning Edition, the Assistant News Director will assist with setting the overall tone for WHQR Public Media.
- Oversee quality and content of WHQR Public Media’s on air news offerings, serving as an “assignment editor” for two full-time General Assignment Reporters.
- Design and implement story editing processes, quality standards, story priorities and other aspects related to allocation of story production and priority.
- Assist News Director with planning meetings with newsroom staff.
- Serve as the local host for Morning Edition.
- Work within a team environment.
- Make public appearances at events promoting WHQR Public Media or its outreach activities as assigned.