CALmatters, a nonprofit, nonpartisan news venture dedicated to explaining the policy and politics of America’s biggest state and the world’s fifth largest economy, is looking for full- and part-time editors. We have a need for managing project teams, editorial products and beat reporters.
What we’re looking for:
- A seasoned, multimedia journalist with experience reporting and editing government policy and politics stories
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Works well with a variety of reporters and issues
- Has a track record of bringing in-depth stories to life on the web through a combination of text, photos, graphics, data visualization and video/audio
- Critical traits include: integrity, high energy, can-do attitude, flexibility and unflappability
- A preference for locating in Sacramento
What these editors will do:
- Work with reporters to brainstorm, develop and produce lively coverage—from timely briefs to rigorously reported projects—that tell Californians what’s going on in state government and how it affects their lives
- Encourage and exemplify a culture of innovation in storytelling
- Oversee and in some cases create editorial packages in our WordPress CMS
- Assist in the management of the newsroom—helping to maintain story plans and calendars, coordinate with other staffers and freelancers, approve expenses
- Prepare content for distribution to dozens of media partners; communicate and coordinate with media partners
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. CALmatters is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply. If interested, please send a resume and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org and put the job title in the subject line.