The digital journalist is part of the team that manages WRAL’s digital platforms: web, mobile app and social media.
We are looking for an experienced, curious and resourceful self-starter to join the Online Content team. This is a full time position.
Reporting to the Online Managing Editor, the successful candidate will:
- Write, edit and post news stories using AP Style from a variety of sources, including WRAL-TV, web curation, original reporting, network news partners, social media and wire services with an emphasis on delivering breaking news and enterprise news quickly and accurately to WRAL.com users and our social media platforms.
- Conceive, create and post original video for WRAL.com and our social media platforms by leveraging content from WRAL-TV, online video platforms and our network news partners.
The successful candidate could appear on WRAL TV news broadcasts as the chief champion for WRAL.com and our social media platforms.
- Create and manage digital livestreams around breaking news and scheduled events.
- Select and edit compelling images for online posting. Create photo galleries, online polls and quizzes to augment online stories and increase page engagement.
- Write accurate and engaging headlines to complement online stories that have images, video, web links and other embedded content that informs and educates the WRAL.com audience.
- Have a firm grasp of SEO and apply it when crafting headlines, online stories and other supporting content that helps drive search traffic to WRAL.com.
- Help manage WRAL social media channels while interacting with fans/followers.
- Perform other duties as needed and directed.
- Must be able to work all shifts, including days, nights, weekend and holidays.
YOUR BACKGROUND INCLUDES:
- BS/BA in journalism, digital media or related discipline preferred.
- 1-3 years of experience in a newsroom with a significant digital operation.
- Experience with content management systems, HTML, image creation/editing, social media platforms.
- Experience with video creation and editing software, including Adobe Premiere and/or other video software programs.
- Ability to multi-task and remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to work well with others and take direction for assignment completion.
- The ability to use real-time and historical analytics to guide site programming and content creation decisions.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Strong desire to create/manage digital content that is engaging and resonates with users.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to learn new things and embrace new workflows based on industry changes.
- A sense of humor.
- A writing test may be required for candidates.
- A pre-employment test of video creation may be required for candidates.
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company which owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAL Digital, WRAZ-TV, WRAZ Digital, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, CBC New Media Group and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality and Bull Durham Beer Co., and the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC; and Professional Builders Supply (an equity partnership) in Morrisville, NC.