PRI's The World is a leading American journalism franchise covering global issues on public radio, podcasts and online. The World delivers journalism that is consequential, influential and high-profile. Produced by the combined public media innovators, PRI and PRX, in partnership with the BBC World Service and WGBH, The World reaches more than three million listeners across North America each week and 1.5 million on-line. Our newsroom in Boston is a place where passion and curiosity meet global politics and culture. We strive to tell deeply human stories in creative and innovative ways.
The Deputy Editor of PRI.org is an important leadership position for The World's growing digital news operation. This person should be calm in fast-moving situations, well-organized and a clear communicator. The Deputy Editor is an important conduit between the digital team and the production's senior leadership.
The Deputy Editor is responsible for daily management of PRI’s properties. This includes coordinating the day-to-day editorial report on PRI.org and monitoring The World's editorial presence on social networks. The deputy editor works closely with the executive editor to set goals for output and evaluate progress toward key metrics for digital growth. The Deputy Editor plays a key role in determining what stories are published by the production team each day and in ensuring they meet standards for quality and journalistic integrity.
The Deputy Editor reviews stories, multimedia and social posts as needed to keep the editorial flow moving. The Deputy Editor is the senior story editor on the digital team and has supervisory responsibility for other story editors and writers. The Deputy Editor is also the senior member of the digital team in the Boston newsroom on a daily basis and will be a critical liaison with leadership on the radio team, working in concert with the executive editor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of PRI.org: story assignments/selections, coordination with other editors and reporters, planning.
- Partners with the executive editor to build and implement digital strategies, including developing partnerships, meeting grant deliverables, recruiting and filling staffing vacancies and meeting department audience goals.
- Reviews and publishes stories and helps maintain homepage.
- Supervises story editors, provides regular feedback and performance and completes a formal annual review for each staff member.
- Assigns and edits freelance stories, at a volume depending on budget resources.
- Collaborates with other staffers to optimize daily content for social sharing.
- Monitors site traffic and story performance with tools like Chartbeat, Google Analytics and Facebook Analytics, with an eye to improving engagement and reach.
- Helps maintain editorial calendars, budgets and employee schedules.
- Undergraduate degree required.
- At least four years of increasing responsibilities and success in a digital reporting environment, with a passion for global news.
This position is based in Boston. PRI+PRX employees are offered health, dental and life insurance benefits, short- and long-term disability, a retirement plan, and paid vacation and parental leave.
- Dedicated community management and community building experience.
- Excellent writer, experienced manager and leader.
- Familiar with multimedia reporting tools, and continually seeking alternative ways to present a story.
- Ability to collect data, establish facts, and solve complex problems.
- Demonstrated success building and maintaining effective relationships through a variety of communication strategies and with a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to lead by example, train and motivate others.
- Self-motivated and self-directed; ability to set and meet aggressive goals and to recognize successes and challenges associated with those goals.
- Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple projects and work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to express independent judgment to identify opportunities and to determine project guidelines, purpose, follow-through and completion.
- Ability to embrace The World's strategic direction and goals and to consider company-wide impact when making decisions.
- Familiarity with social media management tools, with TweetDeck and SocialFlow experience a plus.
- Experience with working a CMS.
- Ability to travel as required.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We want our team to reflect the wide diversity of our country, and we strongly encourage POC and LGBTQ candidates to apply. We're committed to structuring our hiring process and company to be welcoming to applicants of all backgrounds.
PRI+PRX is an equal opportunity employer.