HuffPost is seeking a visionary and creative experimenter who is passionate about building the future of journalism. As we explore new ways of deeply engaging loyal audiences and new revenue sources built on serving those audiences, we are launching a new foray into membership. This role will manage the editorial aspect of those efforts, working with business operations, product, UX and other stakeholders to launch and iterate a new model of membership for HuffPost – and find creative ways to grow member engagement.
The deputy managing editor for innovation leads HuffPost's reconnaissance force, exploring how new formats, new platforms and new technology can attract and retain loyal audiences, and experimenting to help HuffPost innovate where and how journalism is created, delivered and consumed. You should be resourceful and thoughtful about how we can learn the most important information needed to distinguish HuffPost and its journalism, to best attract and serve the largest audience we can keep, and encourage that audience to support and engage with our journalism.
You should believe in the power of journalism to improve lives and be passionate about exploring and creating new ways to serve and engage our audience, as well as to grow revenue to support our journalism. You should also be confident in leading and coordinating A/B testing, and in finding practical ways to test assumptions about what news consumers want, setting reasonable benchmarks and prioritizing, iterating or ending experiments based on results. You must also be an excellent collaborator, with a proven ability to communicate effectively with – and win consensus from – a range of colleagues across different parts of a business.
You are a habitual early adopter of new technologies – interested in exploring the opportunities that 5G will offer for storytelling – with insights into how different kinds of audiences engage with news.
In this position, you will:
run day-to-day membership operations and testing, working with product, marketing and others to experiment with new positioning, messaging and features to grow membership and member engagement
identify and develop new areas and opportunities for connecting with and keeping audiences, onsite and off-platform, in ways that encourage them to support our journalism
ensure our audience is kept front and center in everything we do, to ensure that new product offerings and features deliver journalism our members value
incubate and lead experiments to test and assess new frontiers in storytelling and journalism, helping us stay on the leading edge of news
discover, create and test new revenue models, including membership, to help sustain our journalism
instill data-driven decision-making in the newsroom, leading and coordinating tests and iterations among editorial teams
advance our editorial strategy, including contributing to newsroom goaling, and help editorial teams translate high-level strategy into meaningful day-to-day decisions
act as product liaison, working closely with the product, audience, editorial and analytics teams to effectively prioritize and manage editorial product requests to help make HuffPost the foremost incubator for Oath, working with company stakeholders to help conceive of and prioritize testing, then translating what we learn into meaningful lessons across different content brands
work with partnerships editor, business development, the Impact team and others to propose and develop and attract unique strategic partnerships focused on innovation, audience and revenue
collaborate across groups with diverse priorities and get buy-in for innovation projects, which should be conceived and shaped with those priorities in mind
- Impeccable editorial judgment
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, including the ability to work seamlessly across functions, teams and brands
- Strong prioritization and organization skills, with the ability to both assess potential and strategically cut back on experiments that aren’t working or won’t help us achieve our top goals
- Experience building membership initiatives that prioritize audience
- A practice of testing and experimentation that converts data into regular practice, with the aim of distinguishing a news brand, its editorial coverage and storytelling from its competitors
- Scientifically minded, clear thinking, with the ability to distill complex challenges and opportunities into simple, provable tests
- Ability to translate results and data into meaningful insights for the newsroom, and to help use those insights to constantly improve operations
- 3-5 years newsroom experience as a reporter or editor