Iowa Public Radio is searching for a journalist to join our News team as a Health Reporter in the Des Moines office. The range of topics will include access to healthcare, mental health, children’s health issues, determinants of public health, and more.
This position is responsible for producing short and long-form news stories and online content on a variety of health-related topics for Iowa Public Radio’s broadcast and web audiences. This person may also appear on IPR talk shows or news magazines to discuss recent stories. This position is a grant funded position for 2 years with a potential for a third year. There is no guarantee the position will continue once the grant has expired.
• At least two years of experience in a professional journalism environment;
• Bachelor’s degree;
• Experience working in multimedia platforms, including photographs, video and web platforms; and
• Experience operating a variety of broadcast equipment including audio boards, digital editing
systems (e.g. Adobe Audition), field recording units and other production equipment.
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Broadcasting, or related field;
• Two years full-time experience as a public radio reporter, anchor, producer, or host;
• Some experience covering issues pertaining to public health, either as a beat or as a general assignment reporter; and
• Firm foundation in journalism ethics, news gathering, and reporting techniques.
Please submit application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries may be sent to email@example.com.
For full consideration, applications must include the following:
1. A detailed resume.
2. A narrative carefully detailing how your experience compares to the job duties, qualifications, functions and desirable functions for this position at this organization. The narrative should not exceed two pages.
3. Sample(s) of your work including:
1. Writing samples that include spot news and a news-oriented feature.
2. Demo containing one newscast-length story (spot), and one feature-length report (3:00-5:00) that you have edited and produced. Please upload the demo to Soundcloud, kiwi6, or another hosting site and send IPR the links.
3. Online content you have produced (please send links). Online content can be a web build-out of a radio story or news content that was designed to be web-only.
Please do not send stories you have produced with the help of a national network.
4. Names and contact information, including email addresses, for three work references, including at least one supervisory reference.
Applications must be received by 5 pm Monday, February 18, 2019. Employment is contingent upon the successful outcome of a background check.
Iowa Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer.