Lehman College is widely recognized as the intellectual, economic, and cultural center of the Bronx and its surrounding region. As the only public senior college in the Bronx, Lehman is unarguably the most important, mission-critical senior college of The City University of New York - the world’s premiere public urban university. Lehman College invites applications for a Communications Publications Writer-Editor within the Office of the President. Under the general direction of the Deputy to the President for Strategic Initiatives and Special Projects, the successful candidate will be responsible for implementing and enhancing an overall communications plan for the Office of the President, including a robust internal communications and social media presence, speeches, op-eds, and other platforms that will build upon and contribute to the College’s strategic communications plan.
Additional duties include:
- In collaboration with the President and key senior staff, develops an annual communications calendar for the President that includes consistent updates to the campus community, external outreach, correspondence, presentations, and speeches.
- Works with Multimedia Center staff and others to develop scripts for video presentations featuring the President.
- Conducts research and develops a familiarity with higher education media outlets to inform opinion pieces, speeches, and social media postings.
- Works with key staff to develop and manage the President’s social media presence. Coordinates announcements with College’s social media director.
- Manages editorial content on the Office of the President website and blog.
- Conducts research and reviews metrics to assess communications efforts.
- Creates and maintains databases, archives, and other content associated with assignments.
- Drafts correspondence for the President as needed.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree or the equivalent from an accredited college or university in English, journalism, public relations, communications or a related field. Strong verbal, written, analytical, rhetorical and graphical communication skills with the ability to synthesize and communicate concepts of varying complexities in a clear and persuasive way to diverse audiences. Outstanding creative, analytical, evaluative, interpretive, and critical thinking skills; ease with quantitative and qualitative data. Superb proofreading and copyediting skills. Exceptional organizational and time management skills with demonstrated ability to handle a dynamic and changing agenda, accept direction, and work independently and effectively amid ambiguity to deliver high quality work and meet multiple deadlines. Demonstrated experience with blogging (e.g., Wordpress), social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat), and print and online publishing tools (e.g., PowerPoint/Keynote, Adobe Creative Suite). Appreciation for the value of others and exceptional relationship-building skills with the capacity to work effectively with diverse stakeholders
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit https://cuny.jobs/lehman-college/new-jobs/, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.