CPR News has a terrific, new opportunity in Washington, DC for a Public Affairs Reporter. The Washington, DC Public Affairs reporter covers breaking news and enterprise from DC that resonates with a Colorado audience. The reporter will cover the Colorado Congressional delegation and other Colorado-related national political figures and monitor federal agencies that are developing policy that affects Coloradans.
- Discover and develop enterprise features from DC that affect Colorado residents.
- Cover political campaigns as necessary.
- Daily reporting for newscasts and digital, including monitoring and pulling relevant tape from hearings and press conferences, making calls and writing for newscasts and digital platforms.
- Develop sources and relationships with members of the Colorado delegation in Washington and their staffs.
- Develop sources and relationships within federal agencies that produce policy relevant to Colorado.
- Monitor the White House for specific Colorado-related policies or news.
- Engage in social media and conversations with CPR audience.
View the full job description.
Knowledge and competencies:
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Colorado Public Radio.
- Minimum of 5 years journalism experience at major news organization.
- Experience reporting from Washington DC preferred.
- Experience covering major beats, preferably public affairs.
- Radio experience preferred.
- High-level writing and editing skills, demonstrated ability to identify key developments and distill complex matters.
- Understanding and presence on social media for reporting and promoting stories as well as engaging with audience.
Available to work during non-standard working hours and weekend on-call shifts, as needed. This job will include travel.
Position is based in Washington, reporting to an editor in Colorado.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, three professional references and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with "DC Reporter" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits. Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.