GeekWire, one of the country’s top independent tech media companies, is seeking a managing editor for a key leadership role in its newsroom, supporting and working in partnership with existing editors to strengthen its journalism and expand its editorial capacity to better serve its growing community of readers, listeners and viewers.
Based in the booming tech hub of Seattle, Wash., home to Microsoft, Amazon, cutting-edge scientific research and ambitious technology startups, this new position offers a chance to make a journalistic impact covering world-changing people, companies, causes and ideas in one of the most dynamic regions of the world.
Success in this role will require:
- Aptitude for business, tech and science, and an eagerness to learn;
- A thirst for knowledge and new ideas, and deep curiosity about the world;
- Strong writing, editing and reporting skills;
- An ability to work in a collaborative environment, serving as a key leader in the newsroom;
- Clear, confident and direct communication in one-on-one and group settings;
- The ability to analyze numbers, financial statements and public records to identify stories;
- The ability to think creatively, learning from past successes and failures;
- The ability to identify and implement new tools, processes and technologies for use by the team;
- An ability to lead, coach and inspire reporters with a wide range of experiences;
- A high level of organization and planning in a fast-moving environment;
- An ability to uncover, identify, write and edit original news of national significance for an audience in the Pacific NW and around the world;
This is a wide-ranging position on an energetic and ambitious news team, involving a mix of editing, coaching, production, writing, reporting and strategic planning. The role requires strong news judgment, effective collaboration, clear communication and creative thinking on tight deadlines, with a flexible schedule at a variety of times of day.
Core responsibilities include:
- Coordinating and scheduling news coverage, identifying upcoming stories.
- Coaching and editing a team of reporters on deadline.
- Working with GeekWire editor and leadership team to shape coverage.
- Overseeing email newsletters, including subject lines and custom content.
- Writing sharp, incisive posts on breaking news and general assignment stories.
- Managing video distribution, email updates and editorial social media.
- Identifying and uncovering news, serving as the primary radar for newsroom.
- Helping reporters identify trends, story ideas and creative sources of information.
- Finding new people and companies to profile and feature, diversifying coverage.
- Working directly with freelance contributors, and editing contributed pieces.
- Finding images and videos, managing home page featured story position.
- Working weekend rotations to ensure ongoing coverage on site.
- Working with reporters and editors to improve reporting, writing and headlines.
- Identifying and coordinating collaborative team projects and activities for stories.
- Representing GeekWire and discussing news coverage on internal and external podcasts, radio shows, videos and public events.
Minimum of five years of reporting and/or editing experience at an online or print publication, with daily or more frequent deadlines.
A background in or demonstrated aptitude for understanding and explaining technology, business and science.
A deep interest in and curiosity about all aspects of technology.
An aptitude for and experience with using social media to find stories and connect with new audiences.
Ability to speak clearly, confidently and extemporaneously about stories for video segments, podcasts and events.
Ability to understand and explain financial materials such as corporate income statements and other key business and non-profit documents.
Eagerness to put in the work required to produce world-class journalism, individually and as part of a broader team.
Ability to work a flexible schedule that may require early mornings, late evening, or weekends.
Prior experience directly managing a team is a plus.
Education: College degree or equivalent professional and/or educational experience.
Nature of Role: This is full-time, salaried position, including health benefits and a 401(k) plan, with a flexible schedule, sometimes starting early in the morning on a breaking story, other times working late into the evening or night at an event.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and clips to firstname.lastname@example.org.