The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks a talented multiformat journalist to cover presidential politics as a temporary newsperson in Iowa, the first proving ground for White House hopefuls in the 2020 campaign.
Reporting to the Washington-based political news editor, this temporary reporter will join AP’s team of political journalists covering the 2020 presidential campaign and will aim to break news and produce distinctive enterprise about the candidates competing for support among Iowa caucus-goers. This journalist will also cover the voters and issues that are animating the campaign in Iowa. The successful candidate will be comfortable working in multiple media formats, and will be expected to routinely contribute video and photos from campaign events, interviews and other news events while reporting on breaking news and beat-driven enterprise. This reporter will have the ability and willingness to travel frequently in Iowa, and work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a demonstrated history of successful political reporting, with a record of producing exclusive stories and enterprise that breaks news.
- Work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot news and enterprise coverage that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- Have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- Pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
This newsperson must have demonstrated excellence as a political journalist, with a record of delivering exclusive, enlightening and distinctive stories. Applicants must be able to consistently break news and report enterprise that offers readers and viewers an illuminating look at American politics. The successful candidate must be able to work effectively with colleagues and peers in teams, and should have at least two years of full-time experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English.
- Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on a complex, challenging story lines.
Application Deadline: 01/17/2019 @ 11:59 PM EST
To apply for this position, please go to https://careers.ap.org/job/Des-Moines-Temporary-Newsperson%2C-Politics-IA-50309/525546300/
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.