Common Dreams is currently hiring for a full-time senior editor & staff writer to help guide our newsroom team.
Position includes spearheading all aspects of daily news operation, including: news selection; assigning and writing stories; managing in-house reporting staff, and assisting with outside contributors.
Ideal candidate is experienced journalist and sharp-minded news junkie with progressive worldview. Top-notch editorial judgement and leadership skills required.
Not an entry-level position, but ideal candidate is ready to put years of quality experience and passion to work for an outlet whose commitment to a better world comes first and where the bottom line is maintained by serving our readers, not investors or corporate advertisers.
This is a full-time, salaried position in our offices located in Portland, Maine. Please note, telecommuting is not possible.
Application Deadline: Dec. 15, 2018.
- Meticulously follow news and progressives issues in U.S. and globally;
- Generate and manage compelling story ideas for daily editorial meetings;
- Reporting and writing of stories while maintaining editorial priorities;
- Provide consistent and positive leadership to newsroom staff;
- Foster professional and respectful newsroom culture that allows for individual growth and fulfillment as well as team success;
- Assist in cultivating consistent editorial voice across site and highly-trafficked social media channels;
- Save the world
Ideal candidate has:
- Passion for progressive politics and independent journalism;
- At least 5 years of newsroom and reporting experience;
- Strong leadership skills with a proven record of collaboration and management;
- Ability to navigate and thrive within current era’s rapid news cycle;
- Commitment to social justice, a better world, and the stated mission of Common Dreams;
- Determination to foster a healthy work environment, including hiring and management of diverse team members;
- Honed social media skills and ability to thoughtfully engage readers and audience
Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with non-profit public interest pay scales. Common Dreams provides a generous benefits package that includes healthcare, paid holidays and vacation, sick days, and parental/family leave.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, conforming to the spirit as well as the letter of the law in our hiring and celebrate the value of diversity in all its forms. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, gender identity or expression, or prior status.
Please send cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position; your resume; and no more than 3 recent samples of relevant/published work. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: "Senior Editor / Your Name." No calls, please.
About Common Dreams
Common Dreams has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. We are independent, non-profit, ad-free and nearly 100% reader-supported. Our mission: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.