Fuller Project for International Reporting
The Fuller Project is a journalism nonprofit that reports on women. We envision a world where women are equal, propelled by a news media that accurately represents all communities and holds actors accountable for the critical and overlooked role of women. We publish with leading and local outlets from the New York Times to The New Yorker to the El Paso Daily.
The Deputy Director (DD) position is a mission-critical, senior role. Our team is nimble and highly focused on producing journalism of the highest quality. The DD will report directly to the Executive Director (ED) and will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief (EIC). The DD will play a central role in resource development and in promoting the impact and reach of our journalism.
The Deputy Director will gain exposure to the landscape of top editors, donors, and partners working on women and news and will build highly transferable leadership and management skills across a range of functions.
We encourage diverse candidates to apply and those with experience working with racial and ethnic minority communities in the United States.
Development, Communications, Administration
- Manage fundraising and partnership building processes, including drafting of proposals and reports, management of all development systems and gifts, and leadership on fundraising campaigns
- For quarterly board of directors meetings, provide reporting and work with board members on their individual engagement (whether events, strategy, etc)
- Research funding opportunities and provide strategic input to our development strategy
- Manage our external communications, including webpage and social media strategy (with implementation support from our coordinator)
- Work closely with executive director on other management and leadership priorities, including talent management, administration, legal and other matters as they arise
PROMOTING IMPACT IN OUR REPORTING
- Develop and implement strategies to maximize the impact of our reporting, working with our advisors – who are industry thought leaders -- and helping us to develop an innovative approach to reporting on women that spurs citizens to hold actors accountable
- Promote our award-winning team of journalists, collaborating with them to deepen the impact of their work -- together engaging with experts, policymakers and influencers and identifying policy windows and other opportunities for our work to have impact
- Build a mass audience for our reporting – leverage published articles, build relationships with multi-media outlets, niche outlets, and local dailies to promote the reach of our reporting and impact on public discourse
- Build and implement community engagement strategies that brings new audiences to our reporting on women through a wide range of events, reporter’s briefings, and other fora. Build exciting partnerships that support this engagement with editors/journalists, policymakers, think tanks, media outlets, educational institutions and others
- Capture and communicate the impact of our work in exciting and immediate formats including direct communications, social media and design
- 4-7+ years of professional experience, background in journalism and communications strongly preferred; development experience a strong plus
- Demonstrated excellent research and writing skills
- Washington DC based preferred
The Fuller Project is committed to being an inclusive workplace that values the experiences and diversity of all team members, and that promotes the voice, leadership, and opportunity to grow for all.
For a mission-driven professional, this is an exciting opportunity to build entrepreneurial and leadership skills as part of a goal-oriented team focused on strengthening journalism by reporting on women.
The Deputy Director will work from our headquarters office in Washington DC and will work closely with our entire team. We prefer this to be a full-time position, but are open to discussing other arrangements with competitive candidates. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience, hours can be flexible.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com with subject line “Deputy Director.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.