This position will perform producing duties for WGBH Radio’s Morning Edition news program, as well as create content for other platforms including online and social media. Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Identify, research and write newscast copy and continuity from all available sources. This will include call-outs for live interviews and setting up content for the following day’s broadcast.
- Work closely with the show host on the editorial flow of the show, while continuing to generate news copy for newscasts and billboards.
- React to breaking news; book guests, keep host informed; help to coordinate reporters in the field.
- Conceive and book live and taped debriefs with reporters and newsmakers. Keep the host and producers well informed with a steady flow of internal and external information.
- Generate story ideas; research, write, produce and edit pieces.
- The Associate Producer (AP) will be responsible for writing stories and updating content on WGBHNews.org, NPR-One, and other content-based digital sources.
- Work on special projects as assigned. This may include assisting on-air pledge and fundraising activities.
This position requires strong news writing and digital audio editing skills, and the ability to work with a small morning team within a growing newsroom cooperatively and calmly under deadline pressure. The ideal candidate will be well organized and have at least 3-5 years of experience in journalism. (Radio journalism experience preferred.) S/he will understand the NPR style and demonstrate strong production experience and comfort with using audio and text editing software. The candidate must have the proven ability to present balanced reporting, fairness and fidelity to facts. S/he will feel comfortable calling sources, both during breaking news and to schedule interviews. The candidate must be intellectually curious and a close watcher of the news, both locally and nationally. S/he must be well versed in the civic, political, economic and environmental issues in the Boston and Massachusetts region.
- 30% Radio production work including writing copy, identifying and researching story ideas and sources for shows. This can also include call-outs for live interviews, setting up content for the day’s broadcast.
- 20% Research, write, edit, produce pieces for distribution on-air or online, and/or generate original story ideas.
- 20% Research and book newsmakers for on-air interviews
- 10% Developing content, including writing stories, and updating existing content to online platforms owned by WGBH and our partners and affiliates
- 10% Working on special projects or breaking news, including on-air pledge and fundraising activities.
- 10% Other duties as assigned.