Iowa Public Radio is searching for a journalist to join our News team as a Reporter in the Des Moines office. This individual will cover a variety of significant issues affecting and/or occurring in Central Iowa, and will assist the state government reporter with legislative coverage as needed.
This position is responsible for producing short and long-form news stories and online content for Iowa Public Radio’s broadcast and web audiences. This position is primarily a general assignment reporter, though a beat assignment in a particular topic area is possible in consultation with the News Director.
• Two to 4 years of experience in a professional journalism environment;
• Bachelor’s degree;
• Experience working in multimedia platforms, including photographs, video and web platforms; and
• Experience operating a variety of broadcast equipment including audio boards, digital editing
systems (e.g. Adobe Audition), field recording units and other production equipment.
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Broadcasting, or related field;
• Two years full-time experience as a public radio reporter, anchor, producer, or host; and
• Firm foundation in journalism ethics, news gathering, and reporting techniques.
Please submit application materials to email@example.com. Inquiries may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For full consideration, applications must include the following:
1. A detailed resume.
2. A narrative carefully detailing how your experience compares to the job duties, qualifications, functions and desirable functions for this position at this organization. The narrative should not exceed two pages.
3. Sample(s) of your work including:
1. Writing samples that include spot news and a news-oriented feature.
2. Demo containing one newscast-length story (spot), and one feature-length report (3:00-5:00) that you have edited and produced. Please upload the demo to Soundcloud, kiwi6, or another hosting site and send IPR the links.
3. Online content you have produced (please send links). Online content can be a web build-out of a radio story or news content that was designed to be web-only.
Please do not send stories you have produced with the help of a national network.
4. Names and contact information, including email addresses, for three work references, including at least one supervisory reference.
Applications must be received by 5 pm Monday, December 10, 2018. Employment is contingent upon the successful outcome of a background check.
Iowa Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer.