PLEASE APPLY ONLINE ONLY
KPBS Video Journalist
Req No. 2018-8201
Type Full-Time Contract
Dept/Proj Name KPBS
Cclose Date 11/27/2018
KPBS serves the greater San Diego community with informative, cultural, entertaining and educational television, radio, and web programming. KPBS TV/FM is the public television and radio stations for San Diego. Licensed to San DiegoStateUniversity, KPBS supports and furthers the university’s educational and community service mission by informing, enlightening and empowering its listeners. It does so not only by presenting national and locally produced programming of value to its San Diego audience, but also by producing programming about San Diego and its people for distribution nationwide.
The Video Journalist will work under the supervision of the Senior News Producer and in coordination with other members of the News Division to follow the KPBS Strategic Plan and Editorial Vision. The primary duties of the Video Journalist include the creation of news content for KPBS TV, radio and web using professional broadcast cameras and non-linear editing equipment. This position works closely with news editors, reporters, producers, managers, production assistants and staff. This position is responsible for technical operation and first-line maintenance of the station's shooting and editing equipment.
The Video Journalist is expected to participate in station on-air fundraising activities, and make appearances for KPBS community building events and other public relations activities.
This position is covered by the SAG/AFTRA collective bargaining agreement with KPBS.
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
News Shooting & Editing:
- Using experienced news judgment, videotaping and gathering high-quality video and audio for stories in the field and in studio, primarily consisting of formal and informal interviews and gathering b-roll footage; may work with a reporter, producer or alone on short and long-form stories.
- Live newsgathering and field editing from ENG satellite truck.
- Responsible for gathering and/or creating all aspects of production, including both hand-held and stationary shooting with a broadcast quality EFP or studio camera, audio and lighting package.
- Perform nonlinear editing of video and audio, and produce graphics.
- Reporting for TV and radio broadcast, including writing broadcast scripts, recording voice-over tracks and writing web stories.
- This position will convert stories for web use and audio for radio use.
- This position will help teach reporters and producers how to shoot and edit their own packages as needed, and will give feedback to reporters on shooting and editing.
- The Video Journalist coordinates the logging and archiving of broll and interviews.
- The Video Journalist will actively engage in daily news planning meetings, and participate in pre-production development and planning and post-production analysis and critique sessions with program producers and directors, providing the technical expertise needed to maximize production effectiveness.
- The Video Journalist will perform technical evaluation of program recordings to assure compliance with station and network technical standards.
Administration & Other
- The Video Journalist attends meetings, understands and follows work rules and procedures, represents the station at public events and is responsible for appropriate record keeping, correspondence, phone calls, supplies and equipment and other duties as assigned.
- The Video Journalist adheres to deadlines and, in concert with appropriate staff, makes timely and effective decisions in situations requiring prompt attention.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to move quickly from story to story.
- Work well with or without supervision.
- Ability to share ideas and assist others in building stories.
- Ability to listen to and act on constructive feedback to improve performance.
- Be able to meet multiple deadlines for all platforms: TV, radio and web.
- Be able to work in breaking news situations.
- Experience in multimedia newsgathering environment, including familiarity with web production, including audio and video production, writing, editing, graphic design, HTML, and photography.
- Desire to serve the community with thoughtful and engaging news reporting.
- Ability to move quickly from spot news coverage to breaking news to long form production.
- Reliable transportation, valid driver's license and proof of insurance required.
- Knowledge of the mechanics of standard English grammar, spelling and AP Style.
- Possesses effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with co-workers.
- Experience in on-line research, word processing, and web.
- Must have excellent memory for details, be able to meet daily deadlines under pressure and deal effectively with simultaneous multiple tasks.
- Minimum two-years full-time professional experience in journalism.
- Must have experience in newsgathering, including shooting, editing and multimedia production for short-form and long-from reports and productions.
- Must have experience with broadcast, professional camera and offline editing equipment, creating graphics for TV and/or web.
- Excels at editing with Adobe Premiere and/or Final Cut Pro.
- Experience using portable live shot (backpack) systems, ie, Comrex LiveShot, TVU, LiveU, Dejero.
- Experience using ENPS.
- Excels at solving technical issues in newsroom and the field.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work in journalism.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated skills in using video and audio recording equipment, still cameras, and audio & video editing software.
- Live shot experience with satellite or microwave truck.
- Ideally has experience in creating content for online presentation.
- Displays knowledge and adherence to high ethical standards.