The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks an enterprising reporter with a proven track record of developing sources and breaking stories to work in its Washington bureau as a newsperson. This newsperson will cover national politics and elections in the United States, seeking to consistently break news and produce distinct, deeply reported enterprise about the 2020 presidential election. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who can generate ideas on their beat that resonate in the U.S. and around the world, and will be comfortable working in multiple media formats, from the field and from the desk, reporting on breaking news as well as beat-driven enterprise. This newsperson must have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- have a demonstrated history of successful beat reporting on American politics, with a record of compelling work on deadline and the production of enterprise that is illuminating and entertaining.
- work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot news and enterprise coverage that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
Qualifications: This newsperson must have demonstrated excellence as a political journalist, with a deep record of delivering exclusive and distinctive spot news and enterprise stories on a competitive beat. Applicants must be able to explain complex stories in clear and compelling ways, and do so swiftly and accurately on tight deadlines. The successful candidate must be able to work effectively as a member of a team, and should have at least three years of full-time experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English.
- Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on a complex, challenging story lines.
Application deadline ends at 11:59pm EST on Nov. 29, 2018
To apply, please go to https://careers.ap.org/job/Washington-Newsperson-Politics-DC-20005-4076/516158400/
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.