The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press is offering a paid 12-week general assignment visual internship next summer with a specific focus on still images and video based in Chicago, Illinois.
The AP Photo/Video Intern will contribute to AP’s content and will receive experience and training in still images, video, and social media production.
The intern will accompany staff photographers on assignments, assist with arrangements in the field and shoot their own photos. Staff photographers and editors will supervise interns on visual storytelling techniques and provide training in the use of photo editing software – Photoshop and Photomechanic – as well as transmission.
The intern will also assist in the production of video stories, including non-linear editing, writing story summaries and scripts, setting up news and feature stories, join location shoots, and do their own shooting.
The successful candidate will be a strong storyteller who can demonstrate solid news judgment and the ability to suggest general story ideas and angles and incorporate them in video and still images. The intern will also be expected to pitch multimedia enterprise story ideas and execute several during the internship.
Interns must keep up-to-date with news in the city or region and its relevance to national and international affairs.
Assignments may cover general news, sports, business or entertainment. Reporting responsibilities will include conducting interviews, monitoring and using social media to find stories and to promote AP’s content, tracking down user-generated content and covering breaking news stories, either by phone or going to the scene.
AP editors will train the intern on such areas as interview techniques, sourcing, databases, AP style and journalism ethics. The selected intern must become familiar with - and abide by - the AP’s statement of values and principles governing ethics.
- Applicants must be:
- current full-time students within two years of earning an undergraduate degree(juniors and seniors) when applying for the program or
- current full-time graduate students or
- students who graduate December 2018.
- Freshmen and sophomores (first year and second year students) are not eligible.
- Must be able to show proof of legal authorization to participate in a 12-week internship in the United States.
- Must have demonstrated proficiency speaking and writing in the English language.
- Relevant experience and training in photos and video are required.
- Good general knowledge of national and international affairs.
- Good basic writing skills and the ability to recognize grammatical and factual errors.
- A prior journalism internship or experience in media.
- Knowledge of online and social media news venues.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail; able to multi-task and manage projects as assigned.
- Self-starter with the ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of co-workers and interview subjects.
- A 300-word autobiographical essay on this topic: “The Associated Press seeks to recruit and retain a workforce that embodies a wide range of talents, experiences, achievements and journalistic skills. Please describe the qualities and accomplishments you would bring to the company as an intern.”
- A resume and cover letter (please include your projected graduation date).
- Five to seven examples of your photos work (links to a website of your work are highly preferred).
- Three to five examples of your video work (links to a website of your work are highly preferred).
- A reference letter from a prior internship, employer or faculty adviser on college/university letterhead.
- All application materials should be uploaded simultaneously, including the reference letter.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: DECEMBER 9, 2018, 11:59 p.m. EST.
To apply, please go to https://careers.ap.org/job/PhotoVideo-Intern-IL/514889800/
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.