The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press is offering a paid 12-week full-time summer data journalism internship based in Washington, DC in 2019.
We are a small team of enterprising developer-journalists distributed across the U.S., and together we work on a variety of data-rich news projects – from drilling into data sets for AP investigations, to developing engaging news apps for big stories such as the U.S. elections, to building newsroom tools that enhance our beat and breaking-news reporting.
We are seeking new ways to tell stories, both in words and in pixels, and our data journalist intern will work closely with graphic artists, designers, video journalists, text reporters and editors to find the story in the data and bring it to life across platforms.
Based on experience and current skill set, the intern will be assigned to either the news applications developers team or the data analysts team. A solid foundation, either in solving problems with code or seeking insight in data, will be key to quickly contributing to either team.
The ability to effectively collaborate, both with other data journalists on the team and with reporters and editors around the AP, along with intellectual curiosity and initiative are essential to be successful in this role. In addition, the intern must be comfortable interacting with a diverse group of co-workers and interview subjects.
The intern will be expected to keep up-to-date with news in the city or region and its relevance to national and international.
Training in all formats will include journalism ethics. Interns must become familiar with - and abide by - the AP’s statement of values and principles governing ethics.
- Applicants must be:
- current full-time students within two years of earning an undergraduate degree (juniors and seniors) when applying for the program or
- current full-time graduate students or
- students who graduate December 2018.
- Freshmen and sophomores (first and second year students) are not eligible.
- Must be able to show proof of legal authorization to participate in a 12-week internship in the U.S. prior to the start of the internship.
- Effective data analysis and reporting skills with a track record of developing strong story ideas from data.
- Must be familiar with HTML and web standards.
- Relevant experience and training in text is required as well as a secondary visual format such as video, photos or interactive/graphics, data visualizations and 3D animations.
- Good general knowledge of national and international affairs.
- Must have demonstrated proficiency speaking and writing in the English language.
- Good writing skills, the ability to recognize grammatical and factual errors and knowledgeable of AP Style.
- A prior journalism internship or experience in media.
- Knowledge of online and social media news venues.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail; able to multi-task and manage projects as assigned.
- Self-starter with the ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment.
- A 300-word autobiographical essay on this topic: “The Associated Press seeks to recruit and retain a workforce that embodies a wide range of talents, experiences, achievements and journalistic skills. Please describe the qualities and accomplishments you would bring to the company as an intern.”
- A resume and cover letter (please include your projected graduation date).
- Three to five examples of your print/text work (links to an online site of your work are highly preferred).
- Three to five examples of your data journalism work (links to an online site of your work are highly preferred).
- A reference letter from a prior internship, employer or faculty adviser on college/university letterhead.
- All application materials should be uploaded simultaneously, including the reference letter.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 9, 2018, 11:59 pm EST
To apply, please go to https://careers.ap.org/job/Data-Journalist-Intern-DC/514888500/
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.