Study Journalism in the Heart of NYC
American Public Media|Minnesota Public Radio
Click here for company Information
|Post Date:||Oct 23, 2018||Type:||Part time|
|Start Date:||January 7, 2019||Salary:|
United States - Minnesota - St. Paul
Are you looking for Internships/Fellowships at the largest station-based public radio organization in the US?
If so, look no further. Our Internship and Fellowship program will give YOU the real-world experience you are seeking in production, research, reporting, interviewing, audio and digital storytelling and more, as well as experience in public media operations. In addition to professional development, this program will help you build a network with other professionals in the industry. Don't miss out on the chance to build your professional portfolio alongside the best people within public media.
Who we are:
Launched in 2017, the APM Research Lab & Analyst Group helps American Public Media accomplish ambitious goals related to informing the public by producing credible research- and analysis-based content.
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media's 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California. APM podcasts offers a diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, business and investigative journalism.
This is an essential research and communications support position for the fast-paced APM Research Lab team. You will help build the necessary capacity to increase the Lab's relevance and reach in the research community and media world and raising our visibility locally and nationally. By supporting and collaborating with existing staff members, you will allow the team to produce and distribute more unique analysis--with opportunities therein to create more revenue opportunities.
Key Learning Goals:
- How to communicate and distribute research findings for broad public understanding, including preparing web content and social media strategies.
- Deepen understanding of key demographic, economic, educational, environmental and other trends that the Research Lab is monitoring and reporting on.
- How to prep, clean, harmonize, analyze, and share data.
- Contribute to and learn from a dynamic research start-up embedded in a nationally renown media organization, with numerous opportunities for professional growth, networking, and support.
- Support the team by preparing web content, newsletters, and social media communications.
- Review data, reports, and web content for accuracy and clarity.
- Assist with data collection.
- Participate in research design and communicating survey findings.
- This internship is a paid six-month position.
- Partial subsidy for onsite parking or bus transportation. Day to day transportation is your responsibility.
- Eligible to accrue for sick and safe time off.
- Eligible for health insurance as required under the ACA.
- Participate in robust on-boarding experience.
- Professional development: on-the-job training, personality assessment training, formal performance review feedback sessions, etc.
- Opportunities to be mentored by one of our top professionals within public media
- Volunteering opportunities.
- Networking with leaders and employee resource and interest groups that support our multicultural employees.
- Enrolled Sophomore, Junior, or Senior in an undergraduate or Master's program OR have earned a degree within the last 12 months.
- Must have completed some coursework in at least one of the following: social sciences, public health public policy, economics, statistics, communications, journalism, or closely related areas.
- Extremely detail-oriented individual.
Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Self-directed but willing to ask for help and direction as needed.
- Proficiency with Office, especially Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of cultural groups and/or demonstrated cultural competency as reflected in the candidate's approach to analysis and/or communications.
- Prior experience with data review, quality assurance, and/or copy-editing.
- Prior work with large datasets.
- Proficiency with statistical software such as SPSS, SAS, STATA, or R.
- Experience with a website content management system (CMS) such as Wordpress, Squarespace, etc.
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
- What are you most proud of?
- Where do you see yourself professionally in five-years and how will this role help you achieve that goal?
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
>Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
>Required to move about in the community.
>Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
>Moderate noise level.
>Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Application deadline: November 9, 2018
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
* Indicate you saw this
position on JournalismNext.com when applying.