Study Journalism in the Heart of NYC
American Public Media|Minnesota Public Radio
Click here for company Information
Intern, Digital Media - Classical
|Post Date:||Oct 23, 2018||Type:||Part time|
|Start Date:||January 7, 2019||Salary:|
United States - Minnesota - St. Paul
Are you looking for Internships/Fellowships at the largest station-based public radio organization in the US?
If so, look no further. Our Internship and Fellowship program will give YOU the real-world experience you are seeking in production, research, reporting, interviewing, audio and digital storytelling and more, as well as experience in public media operations. In addition to professional development, this program will help you build a network with other professionals in the industry. Don't miss out on the chance to build your professional portfolio alongside the best people within public media.
Who we are:
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media's 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California. APM podcasts offers a diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, business and investigative journalism.
Intern, Digital Media - Classical:
As the Digital Media Intern, Classical, you will assist with the production of websites and digital music products for Classical Minnesota Public Radio and American Public Media. You will gain experience working across the department's digital portfolio, including YourClassical.org and ClassicalMPR.org; APM's national programs (Performance Today, SymphonyCast, and Pipedreams); its YouTube channel; and social media. Duties include gathering information and readying it for the web; working with digital audio, photos and graphics; video production; and helping with related administrative tasks, such as coordinating giveaways. The internship will provide basic training in web production and exposure to professional practices.
Key Learning Goals:
- Become adept in using key digital tools, such as content management systems, Adobe Creative Suite and Excel spreadsheets
- Post web features, from inception to publication
- Develop an understanding of regular operations in Classical, including live broadcasts, production of national shows, audio/video post-production, and music programming.
- Conceive and create interactive quizzes and other digital features
- Manage social media
- Learn and perform a variety of digital production tasks.
- Write and format text.
- Curate and edit images to enhance editorial content.
- Format text in HTML.
- Identify and help resolve technical issues.
- Identify additional opportunities to enhance Classical's digital presence.
- Participate in and contribute to team meetings.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- This internship is a paid six-month position.
- Partial subsidy for onsite parking or bus transportation. Day to day transportation is your responsibility.
- Eligible to accrue for sick and safe time off.
- Eligible for health insurance as required under the ACA.
- Participate in robust on-boarding experience.
- Professional development: on-the-job training, personality assessment training, formal performance review feedback sessions, etc.
- Opportunities to be mentored by one of our top professionals within public media
- Volunteering opportunities.
- Networking with leaders and employee resource and interest groups that support our multicultural employees.
- Enrolled Sophomore, Junior, or Senior in an undergraduate or Master's program OR have earned a degree within the last 12 months.
- Demonstrated interest and passion for classical music.
- Digital media and web publishing experience.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work independently, and identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Strong organizational, research, and tracking skills.
- Basic understanding of HTML and CMS systems.
- Ability to learn new computer programs upon request.
- Maintain strong attention to detail.
- Basic understanding of social media platforms.
- Excellent language skills, including writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Strong Photoshop skills and a good photo journalistic sense.
- Preference given to applicants with a working knowledge of classical music
- Experience editing video
- Experience with online or print publications, web authoring tools, online audio, and basic programming
- Experience with Excel and working in spreadsheets
- Experience with feature writing
- Experience with digital photography
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Experience with blogging or other community-based online features
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
- What are you most proud of?
- Where do you see yourself professionally in five-years and how will this role help you achieve that goal?
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
>Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
>Required to move about in the community.
>Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
>Moderate noise level.
>Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Application deadline: November 9, 2018
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
* Indicate you saw this
position on JournalismNext.com when applying.