The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking an Assistant Communications Director to assist the Communications Director in overseeing press strategy for the Communications Department. This position will develop, plan and implement comprehensive and diversified strategic media and messaging programs to support the UFCW International Union in its organizing, bargaining, and political efforts. The position will also provide local unions with support on media relations, member communications, and other activities as assigned by the Director. This position will guide the following for the International Union:
- Brand awareness and reputation in news media
- Working with UFCW Locals on messaging and press
- Coordination with the Political and Legislative Department
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains national, regional and local communications plans and strategies to support UFCW’s agenda.
- Aggressively builds relationships with regional and national media contacts to shape the way the UFCW’s message and branding reaches UFCW members, opinion leaders, allies and non-union workers in UFCW core industries.
- Develops, writes and edits accurate and timely media relations materials and graphics.
- Provides campaign-related content for UFCW websites.
- Conducts press conferences, including staging, and preparation of advisories, releases, statements and other material.
- Trains and coaches workers, members, and staff in media skills.
- Develops and executes talking points, speeches, letters, and articles for the International President and other Executive officers as assigned by the Director.
- Provides communications staff support for the International President and other Executive officers at meetings, conferences, conventions, or public events.
- Develops relationship with staff at all levels of the organization.Interfaces professionally with external groups that have mutual interest.
- Contributes to staff strategy meetings, and stays current on substantive and political developments.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline; equivalent experience may be substituted. Minimum of 7-9 years of media relations, writing, editing, and producing of campaign materials.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage work and supervise others.Extensive experience in cultivating media contacts and relationships.Thorough knowledge of electronic and print media.Experience developing and implementing media and campaign strategy.Basic knowledge of design and four-color printing process.
- An understanding of labor or UFCW industries is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of word processing, publishing software programs and on-line communications acquired with eight years of professional working experience.
- Ability to write, prepare and edit in a creative and clear manner at a level acquired with eight years of professional working experience.
- Strong oral communication skills which include public speaking. Strong listening and interpersonal skills, including those required to deal effectively with a variety of difficult and abstract situations.
- Must be able to establish and maintain working relations with representatives of the media. Must exercise discretion involving the interrelationships among the International, regional offices, local unions and members.
- Strategic thinking, creativity and decision-making ability.Problem-solving skills, political judgment, ability to delegate work, and follow-through are also essential.
- Irregular or unpredictable hours are required, including nights and weekends.Frequent and last minute travel is necessary.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
Duration: Full time. Posting closes when position is filled.
The UFCW represents more than 1.3 million workers. Its members are employed principally in retail food; meatpacking; manufacturing, poultry and food processing; department and drug store, garment and textile, distillery, chemical, health care, and insurance industries. For more information, please visit www.ufcw.org.
United Food and Commercial Workers International Union is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).