CHOICE (http://choice360.org), a publishing unit of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL, a division of the American Library Association), and the publisher of Choice Reviews and ccAdvisor, the premier sources for reviews of new books and digital resources for academic library collections, seeks an associate editor to assign and edit reviews in the social sciences.
Reporting to the editorial director, the social sciences associate editor:
• Ensures high-quality monthly review coverage of the most important new print titles and digital resources suitable for college and university library collections
• Selects appropriate publications and digital resources for review
• Matches and assigns titles with the relevant reviewers according to academic qualifications, subject area knowledge, and research interests (e.g., anthropology, sociology, history)
• Edits reviews for clarity, organization, house style, length, and subject knowledge
• Oversees, maintains, and cultivates a deep pool of expert, volunteer reviewers (primarily teaching faculty and academic librarians)
• Commissions, prepares, and edits special features, newsletters, bibliographic essays, and other contributor content
• Helps support and promote the association missions of the ALA, ACRL, and Choice
• Successful candidates will have a minimum of 3 years of related experience in nonprofit, academic, or consumer media.
• Bachelor’s degree required. MLS and/or equivalent academic library or collection development experience preferable.
• Broad knowledge and/or familiarity with the social sciences and trends in academic libraries highly desirable
• Excellent editing, writing, communication, and organizational skills.
• Track record of meeting deadlines.
• Strong attention to detail.
• A commitment to editorial standards and ethics.
• Proven workflow management skills.
• Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively on a small editorial team as well as with a wide range of colleagues.
Negotiable from the low 40s; based on relevant experience.
CHOICE is located in Middletown, CT. No option to work remotely.
Apply online at http://www.ala.org/aboutala/contactus/workatala including cover letter and resume.
(additional documents can be uploaded on the same screen as the resume)
Send a cover letter and resume to:
American Library Association
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611-6763
Fax: (312) 280-5270
The American Library Association is an equal opportunity employer: Disability/Veteran