Since its inception in 1983, FRONTLINE has served as PBS’s flagship public affairs series. Hailed upon its debut as “the last best hope for broadcast documentaries,” FRONTLINE’s stature over 35 seasons is reaffirmed each week through incisive documentaries covering the scope and complexity of the human experience. FRONTLINE never shies away from tough, controversial issues or complex stories. In an age of round-the-clock breaking news, FRONTLINE remains committed to deep, provocative, hard-hitting, long-form journalism.
FRONTLINE is looking for an experienced Digital Editor to oversee our journalistic efforts online. Under the supervision of the senior editor, this position is responsible for managing the daily editorial operations of the FRONTLINE website, helping to shape the series' digital footprint and supervising the team assigned to build content.
The Digital Editor will lead the digital team in ensuring that FRONTLINE's online presence remains competitive, highly visible and continues to offer quality journalism online, while helping to shape new media and multiplatform strategies.
He or she will assign and edit stories for FRONTLINE's website and coordinate with FRONTLINE film producers on future stories as well as updates to previous investigations. This position acts as a critical liaison between FRONTLINE's senior editorial team, our producers, our audience engagement staff, as well as with counterparts at PBS and WGBH as it relates to digital content and strategy.
We are seeking an energetic news junkie, who has wide-ranging interests, a healthy sense of curiosity, sound editorial judgment, established reporting skills and a passion for investigative and accountability journalism.
The successful candidate will be a creative thinker who thinks critically not just about which stories to be telling, but how to tell them. Experience editing interactive or multimedia work is a plus. The candidate will also have deep knowledge of FRONTLINE's past work and core mission, and the ability to work on multiple projects under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• With the senior editor, managing a team of reporters, as well as an interactive team that consists of a senior designer and a senior web developer.
• Assigning and editing stories for FRONTLINE's website.
• Setting and maintaining an appropriate editorial tone and voice.
• Running daily stand-up meetings.
• Coordinating social media efforts with FRONTLINE's audience development team.
• Managing a reporting fellowship program between FRONTLINE and Columbia University.
• Crafting attention-grabbing headlines and curating the FRONTLINE home page.
• Coordinating with FRONTLINE film producers on future stories as well as updates to previous investigations.
• Copy editing digital video.
• 5-10 years of journalism experience, preferably in a digital newsroom.
• Excellent writing, organizational and communication skills.
• Demonstrated leadership/management ability.
• Strong news judgment.
• Familiarity with Wordpress content management system and basic HTML.
• Working knowledge of AP style.
Bachelor's degree required.