The American Library Association (ALA) is seeking an Editor to manage the Books for Youth department of Booklist Publications, a unit of ALA Publishing.
Reporting to the Editor & Publisher of Booklist, you will supervise a team of editors responsible for generating all children’s and Young Adult content for Booklist’s suite of products and services, print and online. The books for youth department of Booklist must be led by an editor able to command respect not only with his or her staff but also throughout the world of children’s and Young Adult literature, including publishers, librarians, and vendors. Key responsibilities include:
- Lead content planning for various products, print and online.
- Guide 20 issues of print Booklist and 4 of Book Links through the various stages of editorial work flow, from acquisitions through the shaping of each issue.
- Write and edit reviews and features for various products, print and online.
- Supervise a staff of three editors and one editorial assistant, as well as various interns.
- Participate in development of content for webinars and live events; serve as moderator or presenter for both as required.
- Create the Booklandia newsletter and supervise creation of Quick Tips newsletter.
- Maintain relationships with youth book publishers through phone calls, email, and occasional trips to New York or elsewhere for in-person meetings.
- Direct department efforts to recruit freelance reviewers and feature writers.
- Attend ALA and other conferences; develop relationships with leading youth librarians.
- Manage editorial page budget; review budget; freelance budget for youth department.
Salary: Negotiable from $60,000 based on relevant work experience. ALA has an excellent benefit package that includes medical, dental, generous paid vacation and retirement annuity.
Apply online at http://www.ala.org/aboutala/contactus/workatala including cover letter and resume.
(Additional documents should be uploaded on the same screen as the resume)
Send a cover letter and resume to:
American Library Association
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611-6763
Fax : (312) 280-5270Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The American Library Association is an equal opportunity employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Requirements: Extensive background in children’s and YA literature; minimum seven years publishing/editorial experience; minimum of three years supervisory experience; deep knowledge of the library market; demonstrable writing and editing ability; 4-year college degree, preferably in the humanities or journalism. MLS degree helpful but not required.