We’re seeking an experienced lead breaking news editor to work at NBC News Digital in New York.
In this position, you will manage a team of breaking news editors and reporters who will work over multiple shifts and in multiple locations. The role of the team is to cover a wide variety of breaking news stories as they happen — including natural disasters, weather events, police shootings, crime, legal actions, pop culture, business news, viral social media conversations and major science news and health studies. (Politics stories will be handled by a separate team.)
As manager of the team, you’ll have to have a sharp eye for which breaking news stories to cover and how to cover them. You’ll supervise the editors and reporters on the team to write these stories quickly, provide headlines and social media guidance, and write breaking alerts to go with them. Once an initial story is published, you’ll oversee it as it continues to be updated, vetting reporting thoroughly along the way.
You’ll make sure that the stories you’re editing have the best photos, videos and other elements to provide context to a reader as a story is developing.
You will work closely with the senior news editors on News Digital to develop procedures that integrate the team’s work into the website as a whole, including our enterprise desk and our politics team. And you will manage the scheduling and performance of the entire breaking news team, reporting to the dayside senior news editor.
To qualify for the job, you’ll have a proven track record of working on and preferably leading a breaking news operation at a major newspaper or website. You will thrive on reacting instantly and responsibly to breaking news, ensuring both speed and accuracy, clarity and fairness. As an NBC News editorial leader you will be obsessive about keeping NBC News competitive on major news stories, knowing that coming in second or third on breaking news means losing a substantial number of readers who depend on NBC to be first. You’ll be a team player who takes work seriously but not yourself.
- Actively monitor sources of breaking news (Dataminr, Twitter, wires, internal communications) and be prepared to jump on news seconds after it happens.
- Expertise writing and editing SEO, social and cover headlines.
- Editing and writing clean, fast and accurate copy, headlines and photo and video captions.
- Make full use of the range of NBC News resources, including network newsgathering and multimedia.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 7+ years working in a newsroom environment that puts a priority on breaking news, with demonstrated experience assigning, writing and editing news stories.
• 3+ years managing a team of reporters.
• 4+ years working in a digital shop.
• In addition to working a day shift, must be able to step in at odd hours and on weekends to solve problems, deal with major news, and help schedule staff members.
• Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment.
• Must be a skilled editor with outstanding communication skills.
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
• Must be willing to work in New York.